PDA

View Full Version : Tool snob?

Kirk (KC) Constable
05-10-2005, 7:41 AM
From my posts over the years, I think it's pretty obvious I'm not a tool snob...I'm a 'functional' type guy. I buy Forrest blades and Infinity (Jesada) and Freud cutters, but otherwise, I'm not 'brand' concious.

The other day, I picked up 8 Gross Stabil clamps during the Woodcraft sale...and when I opened the box yesterday, for the first time I was excited by what a 'pretty' tool they are. :o I don't like the Bessey clamp, but I've got quite a few Cabinet Masters. The Gross Stabil is much better looking...and I have to admit that if they perform better than the Bessey and at least as well as the Jorgensen, I'll be buying them from now on...simply because they look better.

I'm probably 3/4 of the way through the shop rehab...at the 'going through boxes of miscellaneous screws and gizmos' stage. A proper clamp storage solution was scheduled for later...but when I saw the new ones, I realized they needed a proper home right away. So I'll be doing that today. :)

KC

Doug Shepard
05-10-2005, 7:55 AM
Welcome to the club. I bought 4 of their regular bar clamps about 10 yrs ago at a WW show and love them. Built like a tank and nice to look at too. I'm so glad I waited until after their version was out before I took the plunge and bought parallel jaw clamps. I'm up to 8 of their PC2 clamps now. Another winner.

John Miliunas
05-10-2005, 8:01 AM
Good for you, Kirk! Yup, having all three of the major flavors, the GS are my favorite, as well. If you're new to them, you may want to measure the actual clamping capacity of them, as well. My 12's actually net out at almost 15. The 24's are, at least, 26 or 27. My 48's are at 52"!!! It's nice that when you pick up a x-capacity GS to clamp across x-width, you've actually got a little fudge factor! Kind of the oposite of most OEM's!:) Enjoy....Oh, I think I'm up to about 22 or 24 of the GS clamps! Yes, I really DO like them!:D :cool:

Tim Morton
05-10-2005, 8:12 AM
I thought I wasthe only one who didn't care for the besseys. I find them awkward to use. I never seem to have the handle in the right spot or angled correctly the first time to clamp correctly. Its not a majpr deal, but i always seem to struggle at the worst times. I'd like to know i can reach for a clamp and set it down and just tighten it down. I'm tempted by the sears deal...might be a good way to try out a new brand.

John Miliunas
05-10-2005, 8:43 AM
I thought I wasthe only one who didn't care for the besseys. I find them awkward to use. I never seem to have the handle in the right spot or angled correctly the first time to clamp correctly. Its not a majpr deal, but i always seem to struggle at the worst times. I'd like to know i can reach for a clamp and set it down and just tighten it down. I'm tempted by the sears deal...might be a good way to try out a new brand.

"Tempted by the Sears deal.."???? What "Sears deal" might you be speaking of, Tim???:confused: :) :cool:

Jeff Sudmeier
05-10-2005, 9:23 AM
A few days ago there was a set of Jorgy (I think) clamps for 2/3rds of the normal price. I was tempted by it as well. When I looked for it today, the page has been removed from the site.

Ken Garlock
05-10-2005, 12:58 PM
Add me to the list of G-S clamp fans.

I have been buying them from All Pro Tools (http://www.allprotools.com/store/page120.html) . From time to time they have sales on the G-S clamps. Just subscribe to their news letter for their sales of various items. Even now, they have some good prices on the longer clamps. :cool:

When I got my shipment from All Pro Tools, one of the plastic clamps faces was missing. I sent an Email to the Gross-Stabil folks telling them of one missing yellow plastic face on one clamp, and asking for a single face plus one for backup. When it arrived, they had sent two packages of 2 plastic faces in each, at no charge of course. Hard to beat that kind of service. :)

Michael Perata
05-10-2005, 1:25 PM
Orange or Red? Orange or Red? Orange or Red? Orange or Red? Orange or Red?

Glad I don't buy my tools by their color or I would have to sell the more than adequate, absolutely usuable 24 RED clamps I now have.

Tim Morton
05-10-2005, 1:33 PM
"Tempted by the Sears deal.."???? What "Sears deal" might you be speaking of, Tim???:confused: :) :cool:

I don't think it would be anything you would have been interested in John:D
A pair of 48" jorgies and a pair of 24" jorgies...bundled as a "Cabinet Master" package for (whispering here....)109 bucks. Can't find out where it went......

Greg Narozniak
05-10-2005, 2:15 PM
It is just like all other tools. Some people prefer brand A and others Brand B. I have mostly Besseys and like them a lot. I picked up 4 Cabinet masters when the Jorgie Orgie was going on (Woodcraft I think) and I find them much more of a hassle to use. They do not grab the bar when tightening as easy or quick as the Besseys and they do not release as easy as the Besseys do either.

I grab for a Red one first and then I go for an Orange one when the red ones are used up. :)

A lot of people where swapping the new type they bought for their prefered "Brand" I wanted to, just never got around to it.

Gary Herrmann
05-10-2005, 3:19 PM
But that may be just because I don't have the GS or the Jorgies. When HD stopped carrying Kbodys, I went around town buying up what what I could find for some really good prices (I think I went to 4 or 5 HDs). Then I found out that Lowes would match and beat those prices by 10% under their pricing guarantee.

My wife refers to it as the Great Clamp Scam. She told me I'm done buying clamps - clearly not understanding wwers and their relationship with clamps. I've gotten around this by periodically ordering one from Amazon when they do the $25 off $199 order. "Hey, its free honey. How can I pass that up?"

joseph j shields
05-10-2005, 5:42 PM
I like the Jorgies and they are made in the USA :)

Mike Vermeil
05-10-2005, 7:51 PM
I've used the Beseys for years, and like them very much. Sure, like all the K-body style clamps you can always find some awkward position that makes it difficult for the clamp head to engage easily, but all in all, they've served me very well.

Whelp, a couple weeks ago I needed a ton of clamps in a hurry to finish getting an ent-center put together, and HD had the Cabinet Masters in stock in lots of lengths. I doubled my supply of K-body style clamps in one purchase! Initially I didn't like them, but the more I've used them I can see that neither is better or worse, just different. The Beseys are lighter, seem a bit easier to engage & disengage and the beam deflects less. The Cabinet Masters have a longer reach, a larger diameter handle which is much easier on the hand during tightening (!), and a "smoother" feel. I now find myself reaching for whatever clamp is most advantages for the particular clamping situation I'm in and I like them both. However, when either type will do, I generally reach for the Besey because they're lighter.

No experience with the GS, but I'm sure they're more than adequate also. In any case, all three models are a huge improvement over pipe clamps, and if you don't use them, you're costing yourself time, results and money.

John Miliunas
05-10-2005, 8:04 PM
I think Mike V. summed it up about the best! Any one of them will do just fine and each, IMHO, have their own merits. Maybe it's because I've stumbled on MORE good deals with the GS than the other two, though I must admit, they are my favorites, with the red guys coming in a tight second.:) In the final analysis, all three do a great job. After that, it becomes a matter of personal preference and/or the best available deal at any given time. I, for one, would certainly NOT snob anyone over their preference of clamps! Whatever works and is affordable to each individual is most probably their BEST clamps!:) :cool:

Jerry Olexa
05-10-2005, 8:15 PM
[QUOTE=Tim Morton]I thought I wasthe only one who didn't care for the besseys. I find them awkward to use.

And I thought (secretly) that I was the only one. And I thought I simply didn't know yet how to properly use them. I found myself reaching for the Jorgies in most/many cases. They are generally acknowledged to be #1 but IMHO, are difficult to use. Thanks, Tim but I'm open to training. :D :confused:

JayStPeter
05-11-2005, 10:37 AM
Sorry KC ... but I think you've made the jump to full blown tool snob :D

Hey, someone had to say it :cool:

Jay

Frank Pellow
05-11-2005, 5:58 PM
I like my Bessy's and I am glad I bought them but occasionaly, I too, have a problem getting the angle of the handle correct for movement and/or tightening. The next time I buy some K-body clamps, I will try Gross Stabil.

Kirk (KC) Constable
05-12-2005, 1:16 AM
Frank...for what it's worth, I used the GS clamps this afternoon for the first time, and have the same trouble finding the right angle to get the head to 'clamp' as I do with the Besseys. The head seems to slide better along the clamp, though. And they 'feel better' when tightening...which will only make sense after you do it yourself.

KC

aurelio alarcon
05-12-2005, 3:21 AM
I don't think it would be anything you would have been interested in John:D
A pair of 48" jorgies and a pair of 24" jorgies...bundled as a "Cabinet Master" package for (whispering here....)109 bucks. Can't find out where it went......Go to the Sears website. And click on the clearence link. Then go to tools. This is where I saw them.