PDA

View Full Version : question about the NOVA 48232 G3 Reversible Chuck

Bret Schaffner
03-26-2013, 9:40 PM
Amazon has the NOVA 48232 G3 Reversible Chuck on sale for $121.99 will this fit t on any 1 x 8 lathe head stock?
The description here make me wonder
"NOVA 48232 G3 Reversible Wood Turning Chuck is a 4 Jaw self centering geared chuck, exclusively designed for the NOVA 46000 Comet II Midi Lathe. It comes with a Reverse Lock feature that enables the chuck to be locked securely onto the lathe spindle when using the forward and reverse functions on the NOVA 46000 Comet II Lathe. It has a dedicated 1-Inch8TPI thread and is only able to be used on the NOVA 46000 Comet II Lathe. This chuck comes standard with the unique NOVA features such as Auto Stop, Copper composite Jaw Slides, Woodworm Screw, Comfortable T Bar Handle and 2-Inch Jaws as standard, this chuck is fully featured. Powerful Tuff Lock gearing with precise, hardened action delivers incredibly smooth strength for a solid, vibration free performance. Takes the same accessory range as other NOVA Chucks."

​Thanks for the help

Tim Leiter
03-26-2013, 10:42 PM
It does look confusing. I have no experience with that chuck but if I were you I would either email or call Teknatool/Nova.

Bernie Weishapl
03-26-2013, 10:55 PM
I am guessing by what it says that yes it will only fit 1 X 8. The comet II has a 1 X 8 threads.

Michael Mills
03-26-2013, 11:48 PM
My thoughts are that it is a marketing tatic. If you look up a Nova G3-D (Nova G3 made for Delta) you can probably just swap the words "Delta" and "Nova Comet" in the product descriptions and not miss a beat.
Not a bad price at all. And yes I imagine it will fit any 1X8 headstock spindle but because of their statement I would check with the service center in FL. I assume (bad thing to do) that Nova saying it fits only the Nova Comet lathe means it does not fit the 1624, Xp, or 2024.

Leo Van Der Loo
03-27-2013, 12:03 AM
It has 1"X 8 TPI threads in the chuck, that doesn't mean it will fit on every lathe with a 1"X 8TPI spindle, as some have shoulders or not thread all the way up the spindle.

Also the "REVERSE LOCK" looks like a threaded hole in the chuck (see picture) where a grub/set-screw will tighten the chuck to the spindle, could cause damage to your spindle thread :(.

Kathy Marshall
03-27-2013, 1:09 AM
I would say it's going to depend on the threads on your spindle. I have a supernova 2 chuck and 2 G3 chucks that are all reversable now on my DVR XP because of the inserts I got to fit that lathe. The threads do not go the full length of the spindle, leaving a flat spot that lines up with the grub screw when the chuck is threaded all the way on. I wouldn't use the grub screw if it was going to be contacting the threads on the spindle as it could damage them.
If I remember correctly, the grub screw goes through the inserts on mine, not through the chuck body itself.

Thom Sturgill
03-27-2013, 7:07 AM
If you look at the G3-D - it does not take an insert but the chuck body id threaded 1"-8tpi. I would suppose this one is too, therefore not fitting 1 1/4" spindles or Metric spindles. The thread length and grub screw location could possibly also be an issue with other lathes. Best to check with Nova, but also look at their reconditioned chucks.

Jeff Gilfor
03-27-2013, 9:20 AM
I own the G3 and Super Nova 2 chucks. They REQUIRE the proper spindle adapter, which is sold seperately. I did not know (and their website doesn't indicate anywhere) that there may be some "special" chucks with dedicated (welded in?) adapters. If it says that it will fit 1x8 spindles, then it should. Just seems a bit funny to me.

As said above, this is likley a marketing gimmick that went with the Comet lathe, and there are some leftovers that Amazon has gotten a hold of.

Philip Wilson
03-27-2013, 10:08 AM
Most G3 and Supernova2 chucks require an insert to fit different spindle sizes and threads. However both chucks also come in a dedicated thread version. The G3 can have dedicated 1" x 8 tpi threads, and the Supernova2 can come with either 1.25" x 8 tpi or the M30 x 3.5mm threads.

Michael Mills
03-27-2013, 12:09 PM
there may be some "special" chucks with dedicated (welded in?) adapters

As Thom said, the body itself is threaded 1X8 the same as Nova's other chuck bodies are threaded to accept an insert (1.5X8?). Seems in the US only the G3-D was direct threaded in the past but the Nova G3 chucks made for Record Tools in the UK have been direct threaded for 1X8 for many years.
I'm sure most retailers would perfer insert type or they would have to stock 25 different spindle size patterns (75+ types just for the three Nova). And then add the other brands....Oneway, Vicmarc...

If people feel their chuck are better just because they are "special made" for Delta, Nova Comet, Record... great, doesn't hurt anything. They should drop the 48232 G3 and just call it a G3-C :D

Thomas Canfield
03-27-2013, 8:27 PM
The shaft on the Nova CometII is 1" from end to shoulder with 3/4" of thread and 1/4" groove for set screw. I checked my 1 1/4 x 1" PSI adapter and it is 1" of all thread from end to shoulder on the 1", and my 1 1/4 x 1 Jet adapter is 1 1/4" from end to shoulder with 1" of thread and 1/4" groove for set screw. There may be a limit on the screw thread engagement for the G3 that would only allow for the 1" of thread and thereby prevent it shouldering out on a longer thead lenght shaft. Can't answer that question, but not all 1" 8TPI are equal.

Bret Schaffner
03-28-2013, 12:09 PM
Thanks for all the replies

Thom Sturgill
03-28-2013, 2:34 PM
The shaft on the Nova CometII is 1" from end to shoulder with 3/4" of thread and 1/4" groove for set screw.

My Jet 1220 is 1" end to shoulder but only 1/8" unthreaded (and not recessed).

Kyle Iwamoto
03-28-2013, 5:17 PM
....but not all 1" 8TPI are equal.

There is a guy on e-bay that sells the G3 with adapter for 125 bucks shipped. He does not currently have the ad though. With not all 1"X8 being equal, it would be interesting if they sell an adapter for their chuck to fit their lathe, since they make a custom chuck for it.

Oh, a lot of people do have trouble with other than Nova brand inserts and wobble.

robert baccus
03-28-2013, 10:38 PM
Sounds like the shaft has a groove for a grub screw. I have seen a leather or copper slug inserted below the grub screw to protect the shaft or threads.

Pete Gray
03-29-2013, 5:30 PM
258479Bret, hope this helps, it is a page from the Nova catalogue with the inserts available, I have a DVR & a Commet 11 & have no problem fitting any of the nova chucks using this guide, you may have th enlarge the page to read,
Good luck :)
pete

John Teichert
05-05-2013, 7:35 PM
This from the Teknatools web site:
Note: If you don't have a NOVA Comet II Midi Lathe you cannot use this chuck. Please instead purchase the standard G3 Chuck (http://www.teknatool.com/products/chucks/g3/nova_g3_chuck_reversible.htm). If your lathe is less than 14” diameter swing, please have a look at the Nova Precision Midi chuck (http://www.teknatool.com/products/chucks/Midi/Nova_Midi_Chuck.htm). If your lathe has more than 14” diameter swing, please have a look at the SuperNova2 Chuck (http://www.teknatool.com/products/Chucks/SuperNova2/SuperNova2_Chuck.htm) or the NOVA Titan Chuck (http://www.teknatool.com/products/Chucks/Titan/titan_chuck.htm).

Its covered with warnings about being exclusively for the NOVA Comet.

Joe Kaufman
05-06-2013, 11:49 AM
I wanted a 1”X 8tpi direct threaded chuck (no threaded insert) and went through the Nova G3 issue about 3 weeks ago. Finally purchased the Delta packaged “Delta # 46-462, Nova G3 Delta”. Previously, Teknatool listed a G3-D, D for direct threaded 1 X 8tpi. It is no longer on their website. My guess is that Delta worked something out with Teknatool to supply a chuck that Delta could market with their MIDI lathe and now Teknatool uses the G3 Comet II name for the Nova direct threaded chuck.
The chuck has opposing threaded holes for setscrews to lock the chuck to the spindle as the photo in a previous post. Two composite wafers are furnished to go under the setscrews to protect the spindle thread if the spindle has threads in this area. The Jet 10-14 and 12-20 need the wafer protection. The only negative comment that I recall is that if your spindle length is greater than 1 1/8” from shoulder to tip, it may interfere with the jaws when jaws are fully closed – can’t seat the chuck on the spindle shoulder when the jaws are closed or you can’t fully close the jaws with the chuck seated on the shoulder.
I am happy with the chuck.