PDA

View Full Version : Water Stone

Mike Ittner
03-26-2013, 8:50 PM
Hi, I'm new to the forum and the site and I have a question about power water sharpening stones. I bought one second hand and it has no brand name but there is a logo of a horse head on it and it appears to be made in Japan. The stones are 8" and are donut shaped mounted to a metal backing with a center hole for mounting lock nut. My question is if anyone knows what brand this sharpening tool is but more importantly where I might find some new stones. I appreciate any help you can offer. Thank you, Mike.

Chris Padilla
03-27-2013, 2:04 PM
Do you have any pictures, Mike?

Jim Koepke
03-27-2013, 2:09 PM
Howdy Mike and welcome to the Creek.

Your profile doesn't list your location. There might be others near you who use power sharpening with water stones who would be willing to work with you on this.

My powered water stone is foot powered. It is still sitting in a corner on my round tuit list.

jtk

David Wong
03-27-2013, 2:46 PM
Makita (http://www.makitausa.com/en-us/Modules/Tools/ToolDetails.aspx?Name=9820-2) makes a well known powered water sharpener. Lots of videos on youtube instructing on its use.

Stuart Tierney
03-27-2013, 3:23 PM
Makita (http://www.makitausa.com/en-us/Modules/Tools/ToolDetails.aspx?Name=9820-2) makes a well known powered water sharpener. Lots of videos on youtube instructing on its use.

Ryobi and Hitachi also make them, as well as a couple other makers of industrial tools and cheap knock offs, and they all use the same type of stone.

Mine's a Ryobi, but not the same 'Ryobi' as most folks here are aware of...

Ryobi make some woodworking machines that make anything that (I know of) Powermatic, Jet, etc. look like anaemic, underpowered kid's toys.

(Think less of plasticky, cheesy disposable stuff and more like multi-ton/**hp self contained, automatic monsters of things.)

I don't know about the horse's head, other than I think I've seen something like that on Chinese made stones.

Stu.