PDA

View Full Version : Where can I find a nice pair of arbor washers?

Mark Burnette
03-26-2013, 7:30 PM
The arbor washers on my RAS look good--solid steel, nicely ground--but they made the blade visibly wobble. The stamped ones on my Unisaw are even cheaper. I can find large stabilizers but haven't had any luck locating quality arbor washers. Who has them?

Chris Padilla
03-26-2013, 8:23 PM
Enco has some nice washers...might work for your application.

Andrew Fleck
03-26-2013, 8:26 PM
I would try to flatten the existing washers on a nice flat surface and some sandpaper first.

Ken Platt
03-26-2013, 10:30 PM
+1 on what Andrew said. One of the fastest improvements I made to my TS was to flatten the arbor washer with sandpaper on my granite surface plate (Lee Valley, around $30, very useful, supposed to be flat within some insane tolerance). Took my blade runout down to nothing.

Ken

Mark Burnette
03-27-2013, 10:37 AM
They ARE flat. I think the problem is the holes weren't bored perpendicular and that's not fixable.

Mark Burnette
03-27-2013, 10:41 AM
Enco has some nice washers...might work for your application.

They don't seem to have "arbor washers". I couldn't get past the 20-questions Search page and it looked like it was going to end up showing me ordinary construction washers.
What's a nice washer? Would you use them on your table saw?

Chris Padilla
03-27-2013, 11:18 AM
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?PMPAGE=841&PARTPG=INLMK3&PMITEM=319-9428

Start here, Mark, and "flip" through the catalog pages. They have all kinds of washers...you might find one that works for you and hopefully it is one that you can buy individually. These are not "arbor washers" per se but like I said, they might work for you.

Mark Bolton
03-27-2013, 11:19 AM
They ARE flat. I think the problem is the holes weren't bored perpendicular and that's not fixable.

That was my wonder is how would you flatten them without taking the face out of square with the arbor hole. While it will likely hurt, if these parts arent available as a replacement pare (obviously) it would seem you may be in for a trip to the machine shop. Hopefully you can find one with good rates. They can really put the hurtin on ya..

Peter Quinn
03-27-2013, 12:08 PM
Perhaps you can order a washer from a TS wih the proper I'd ? For instance you could buy one from powermatic for a 66 TS if you have a 5/8" arbor, or get one from a 12" saw if your is 1". Amana sells bushings and spacers for arbors that are quite precise, not sure these have enough OD for your needs?

Alan Schaffter
03-27-2013, 2:52 PM
I guess I don't understand the issue- your mitersaw and tablesaw should only have ONE "arbor washer" each that sits between the blade and the arbor nut. The saw should have an "arbor flange" that is a precisely machined part of the arbor and which determines how well the blade mounts and tracks. No washer (or stiffener) should ever be placed between the flange and the blade. The arbor "washer" on the outside just spreads out the nut pressure a little- any flat or convex washer that slips over the arbor can be used as an arbor "washer" it is the "flange" that matters. When using a full dado stack I usually only use a nut and no washer (see small nut pictured below).

IMHO if you want a new "washer" for the Unisaw and if you can still find them, get the after-market integral nut/washer assembly by Delta (on left in pic below), which was one of the best investments and improvements I made to my Unisaw. It is easy to install. It lessens and almost totally eliminates dropping separate nut or washer into the cabinet. The washer is "attached" to the nut but spins independently.

The right tilt version used to be available through Delta and Mike's Tools (Part No. 36-659) had them up to a year ago. It was (is?) available for left tilt Unisaws (Part No. 36-201).

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/attachments/f12/38361d1329271496t-i-got-upgraded-nuts-nuts.jpg

Stephen Cherry
03-27-2013, 3:10 PM
My radial arm saw's inside washer was way off, I was able to use a carbide burr and cut it flat while the saw was turning with no blade and no outer washer.

Kevin Groenke
03-27-2013, 8:15 PM
https://sawstop.3dcartstores.com/Arbor-Nuts-Washers_c_93.html

This one is machined, not stamped, nice.

Mark Burnette
03-27-2013, 11:27 PM
https://sawstop.3dcartstores.com/Arbor-Nuts-Washers_c_93.html

This one is machined, not stamped, nice.

Now that's what I'm looking for. Larger than a plain flat washer but not big & in the way like a stabilizer.
BTW in my first post I said it was my RAS that had the wobble and on that machine the blade mounts between 2 loose washers. They looked quality, but weren't.
I'm just unimpressed with the stamped washer on my Unisaw. Maybe a quality heavy ground one won't be an improvement but I'll know deep down inside that my saw is running better and cutting better and can balance a dime :)

Mark Burnette
03-27-2013, 11:30 PM
http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/attachments/f12/38361d1329271496t-i-got-upgraded-nuts-nuts.jpg[/IMG]

Very nice indeed but how can something that offers no performance improvement be "one of the best investments and improvements I made to my Unisaw"?

Alan Schaffter
03-28-2013, 8:44 AM
Very nice indeed but how can something that offers no performance improvement be "one of the best investments and improvements I made to my Unisaw"?

Not sure of your question or which washer, etc. you are referring to, but with the one I showed, the first time you change blades and slip the Delta after-market nut/washer on and off the arbor (and think about how many times you dropped the old one) you'll immediately know why. Truly! I don't understand why they didn't supply it with the saw to begin with. Anyone else have the same opinion?

Ole Anderson
03-28-2013, 11:12 AM
Not sure of your question or which washer, etc. you are referring to, but with the one I showed, the first time you change blades and slip the Delta after-market nut/washer on and off the arbor (and think about how many times you dropped the old one) you'll immediately know why. Truly! I don't understand why they didn't supply it with the saw to begin with. Anyone else have the same opinion?

I think it is a great idea. Am I correct that most 10" cab saws have 5/8"x12 left hand Acme threads? Wouldn't mind the add-on to my G1023.

http://www.mikestools.com/36-659-Delta-Arbor-Nut-Assembly-Rt-Tilt-Table-Saws.aspx $27.29, price seems reasonable for what you get, I see the value.

Alan Schaffter
03-28-2013, 12:00 PM
I think it is a great idea. Am I correct that most 10" cab saws have 5/8"x12 left hand Acme threads? Wouldn't mind the add-on to my G1023.

http://www.mikestools.com/36-659-Delta-Arbor-Nut-Assembly-Rt-Tilt-Table-Saws.aspx $27.29, price seems reasonable for what you get, I see the value.

Depends on tilt, left tilt saws have RH threads. When I Googled it I found an old thread where an owner of a Sears or other saw said it wouldn't fit his saw- was too loose. I suppose all ACME threads are not created equal, or at least Sears threads.

Mark Burnette
03-28-2013, 1:28 PM
I've read elsewhere it's very hard to get a proper nut for the Unisaw and Delta hasn't shipped any in months. Over on OWWM there's a guy making them so folks can keep using their saws. If other brands would fit I don't think anyone would be waiting a long time for one from Delta (?)

Lee Schierer
03-28-2013, 9:46 PM
If your arbor is 5/8" dia then almost any brand of arbor washer from any saw with the same arbor diameter should work on your saw. Sears sells them as replacement parts.

You should also be able to slightly enlarge the ID without affecting the saw performance so that the washer seats flat against the blade. The washer is most likely hardened so you may need to visit a local machine shop and have them mill out the ID. While there they can put the washer on their surface grinder and flatten it on both surfaces.

Mark Burnette
03-28-2013, 9:52 PM
I have a Dewalt/Delta service store near work and I had a parts order there anyways...Their computer showed Delta had 50-some of the captured-washer ones, and the cost was the same as online--but no shipping :) Only problem is Delta is still dragging their feet moving their parts so it might be a month before I have it in hand. Glad it's a "want" and not a "need".