PDA

View Full Version : Eastern Red Cedar for turning

Jonathan Clement
03-26-2013, 5:50 PM
My wife is a bit upset with me getting some Eastern Red Cedar pen blanks as she thinks they will be too toxic to turn. I'm thinking that using a dust mask and dust collection especially when sanding should be OK. Any advice on this?

Thomas Canfield
03-26-2013, 8:27 PM
Cedar reaction is different with different people. Precautions should always be used with breathing the dust, but I am not familiar with any skin reactions such as those that affect some with the rosewood family of woods. I cannot drill, cut, sand, or turn the rosewood families anymore without starting a poison ivy type reaction to the dust and fumes. Cedar does not give me any problem, yet.

Steve Mawson
03-26-2013, 8:35 PM
I have made bowls that produce a lot of shavings with no problems. I do use dust collection.

Matt Newton
03-26-2013, 8:37 PM
I've turned a few red cedar bowls and boxes and have had no ill effects. Just remember YMMV. I wouldn't worry about the turning but always protect your airway when sanding.

Dennis Ford
03-26-2013, 8:43 PM
I have a friend that can not turn cedar at all due to allergy but it does not bother me much. It is beautiful wood.

robert baccus
03-26-2013, 9:38 PM
It is allergic to me I think. Cracks if it hears my voice. People to the north say this may be a southern thing???

Richard Coers
03-26-2013, 10:17 PM
It is difficult to sand and is susceptible to dings as a pen because it is so soft. No difficulties for me with the dust. Oh yeah, the color will fade with age and sun exposure. Hope you didn't pay much for them.

Bernie Weishapl
03-26-2013, 10:59 PM
I turn a lot of red cedar. I do use the DC and I also wear a respirator. To me with any wood a dust mask doesn't do much good. Haven't had any problems turning, sanding or finishing. Cedar is my best seller for bottle stoppers and pepper mills.

Tim Leiter
03-26-2013, 11:05 PM
I have turned some Red Cedar pens and the turning and sanding caused me no problems at all. I've never heard anything about being "toxic?"

Sid Matheny
03-26-2013, 11:26 PM
I love it but it hates me. I still turn it but with as much protection as I can wear. If I breath the dust it can take me a week or more to get over it. Pen blanks are not near as bad as larger bowl blanks.

Sid

Robert Henrickson
03-27-2013, 7:57 AM
I can't be in the same room when it is turned, let alone sanded.

Michael Stafford
03-27-2013, 9:38 AM
There are people for whom cedar is an irritant as evidenced by some of the responses in this thread. If you are turning a new wood for the first time I think it a good idea to be sure to do so when someone else is at home in case you do have an allergic reaction. If you are suddenly unable to breathe or feel burning of the mucous membranes around the nostrils or mouth, swelling of the tongue or throat it is time to go to the hospital and you need someone to drive you. Anaphylactic shock is not a joke as it can kill.

Dust collection and a dust mask is always the best plan along with access to help if needed.

I have turned over 500 species of wood and to date I have excluded only one from my turning list- padauk. It irritates my mucous membranes and I am afraid I have become sensitized to it.

Jonathan Clement
03-27-2013, 1:47 PM
Thanks for the replies on this. If I turn these I will do it when my wife is away for the day. She is more sensitive to sawdust than I am. I only paid 50 cents each for these which included shipping, so no big loss if I can't use them.

Harry Robinette
03-27-2013, 8:32 PM
I always lightly rub the end grain on the under side of my arm and then put a band aid over it,check the area in 12 to24 hours if it's red or really any color DON'T do any thing with it. It's worked for me for many years.

Jonathan Clement
03-27-2013, 8:40 PM
Thanks for that tip, Harry.

robert baccus
03-27-2013, 9:13 PM
This was the original pencil cedar but has been largely replaced by incense cedar, a west coast species.