PDA

View Full Version : Remote Control Outlet for DC?

Ed Mills
03-26-2013, 4:54 PM
I want to find a remotely controlled outlet for a Delta 50-580 DC. DC is rated at 12A. I have found all sorts of R/C outlets, no basic one single, 3 prong, 12 - 15A outlet w simple remote. Any suggestions please?

John Lifer
03-26-2013, 7:18 PM
I've used an X-10 outlet up to 20 Amps with success.

Mark Burnette
03-26-2013, 7:25 PM
I think all the DC remote power controls are single receptical, plain remote units. Grizzly (G4699, G4700), Shop Fox, eBay, Rockler, Woodcraft, Amazon, Google...they're everywhere.

Joseph Tarantino
03-26-2013, 11:50 PM
can't understand the fascination with remote controls. i use these and it really makes life much easier and there's no key fob to misplace:

http://www.ivacswitch.com/index.action

let's one work like a gentleman.

Joe Shinall
03-27-2013, 12:26 AM
Don't know much about your DC but this is what I run my 2HP HF DC on with no issues:

http://www.amazon.com/PSI-Woodworking-LR110-3-110-Volt-Collector/dp/B00004S9AI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1364358231&sr=8-1&keywords=dust+collector+remote

John Lifer
03-27-2013, 8:42 PM
can't understand the fascination with remote controls. i use these and it really makes life much easier and there's no key fob to misplace:

No fascination with remote control. I just have an outlet that the DC and my air compressor are plugged into that is behind my RAS. My TS is 20 feet away and I'd rather not run another power cord with a box on it across the shop. Just won't work with my setup as power to TS is in a different location and is 220v. Additionally, I'd have to swap the cords when I use the DC with the RAS and again when I use the Band Saw and again when I use the 6x48 belt sander. A LOT of swapping cords. Sorry, the RC is MUCH better solution. And I haven't lost the RC after 3 years.
Your box works great if only one machine is used with DC.

Ed Mills
03-28-2013, 12:09 PM
I have not seen amperage ratings on X-10 outlets. Is yours rated?

Greg Portland
03-28-2013, 3:25 PM
For 15A look for Christmas tree light remotes. For higher amperage you can take a DP contactor and control it with the Christmas tree light system.

Joseph Tarantino
03-28-2013, 4:49 PM
No fascination with remote control. I just have an outlet that the DC and my air compressor are plugged into that is behind my RAS. My TS is 20 feet away and I'd rather not run another power cord with a box on it across the shop. Just won't work with my setup as power to TS is in a different location and is 220v. Additionally, I'd have to swap the cords when I use the DC with the RAS and again when I use the Band Saw and again when I use the 6x48 belt sander. A LOT of swapping cords. Sorry, the RC is MUCH better solution. And I haven't lost the RC after 3 years.
Your box works great if only one machine is used with DC.

to each his own. i activate my 220v DC and 110v shop vac with both 110v and 220v tools via the ivac switches i daisy chained together. but ivac also has a pro line that will wirelessly communicate auto activation between saw dust generators of varying voltages and dust accumulators of varying voltages:

http://www.ivacswitch.com/default.action?itemid=57

again, to each his own. i have a woodcraft 220v ( http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2005117/8273/WoodRiver-220Volt-Dust-Collector-Remote-Control-Switch.aspx ) remote control that i got with the DC that i'll have to sell one day as i can't, at present, ever see wanting to have to activate a tool and then perform another operation to activate and then deactivate the DC.

Dan Hintz
03-28-2013, 7:46 PM

to each his own. i activate my 220v DC and 110v shop vac with both 110v and 220v tools via the ivac switches i daisy chained together. but ivac also has a pro line that will wirelessly communicate auto activation between saw dust generators of varying voltages and dust accumulators of varying voltages:

I run my DC for my bandsaw, my CNC, my laser, both of my lathes, as well as other manual stuff. A remote is a good deal, and your suggested system wouldn't work... that's my fascination, something that works for the layout I have.

I find it somewhat amusing, however, that you suggest the iVac version of a remote control to people who can't work with your daisy-chained system...

Alan Schaffter
03-28-2013, 8:04 PM
to each his own. i activate my 220v DC and 110v shop vac with both 110v and 220v tools via the ivac switches i daisy chained together.

. . . . again, to each his own.

. . . . . i can't, at present, ever see wanting to have to activate a tool and then perform another operation to activate and then deactivate the DC.

I think both of you are arguing over "to each his own." Frankly, it really depends on how you do woodworking, how much you use your DC, the size of your shop, and how much noise your DC makes. For repetitive or sequential operations there is no need, and in fact it is bad to turn the DC motor on and off too often (typically more than 6 times per hour.) If your shop is small you don't need much. If your DC is noisy, you might be inclined to turn it off more than a quiet or remotely located DC. If you have a small but cramped shop, a daisy-chained iVAC (non RF) setup requires way too many cords and wires running all over.

And quite honestly until they release their forthcoming autogate (if it works and doesn't cost a mint) and you integrate them into an unobtrusive wireless system, the iVAC doesn't let

one work like a gentleman.

IMHO it falls far short. Only autogates and an automated DC do that.

johnny means
03-28-2013, 10:31 PM
I can't understand why anyone would play around with those silly, sloppy IVac toys, when they could step up like a real gentleman with this system:rolleyes:

http://www.ecogate.com/

Now, could you please press the Grey Poupon?

Alan Schaffter
03-29-2013, 12:05 AM
I can't understand why anyone would play around with those silly, sloppy IVac toys, when they could step up like a real gentleman with this system:rolleyes:

http://www.ecogate.com/

Now, could you please press the Grey Poupon?

You're telling me! Back when EcoGate sold their consumer-grade Green Box and autogates, a 6" gate w/o Green Box cost nearly $300! :eek: I can't imagine what their industrial stuff sells for!

Jim Neeley
03-29-2013, 2:47 AM
The iVac pro line also offers a fob, so you can build your system as fast or as slowly as you wish. Start out with the DC switch and a fob and add tool auto-switches as you wish and choose to afford.

Mark Burnette
03-29-2013, 9:33 AM
I have a low voltage toggle switch at every gate on my system. You mean if I replaced the toggle with a leaf switch that automatically turned on the DC I could work like a gentleman?

Alan Schaffter
03-29-2013, 10:26 AM
I have a low voltage toggle switch at every gate on my system. You mean if I replaced the toggle with a leaf switch that automatically turned on the DC I could work like a gentleman?

Nope, not even close. No switches. The gates gotta open and close electro-pneumatically, and the DC has to start (and stop manually or after a delay) all automatically when triggered by each tool. Also, the gates must be able to be operated (and DC triggered) semi-automatically via push button when connecting a vac hose any port. And don't forget the automatic high dust alarm to turn the system off before the bin fills and dust passes on to and clogs the filter.

I'm sure I read all this in Chris Schwarz's "Gentleman's Woodworking" by Edison Thomas Roubo (Andre's descendant).

Of course, all gates must be mounted under the floor or built into the wall so they have a neat appearance like this:

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/500/medium/P4280013.JPG

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/500/medium/P4280012.JPG

Michael Dunn
03-29-2013, 9:08 PM
Don't know much about your DC but this is what I run my 2HP HF DC on with no issues:

http://www.amazon.com/PSI-Woodworking-LR110-3-110-Volt-Collector/dp/B00004S9AI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1364358231&sr=8-1&keywords=dust+collector+remote

+1. I've been using this for years. Love it. I keep it on my belt buckle. Sometimes on my TS fence.

Joe Shinall
03-29-2013, 11:14 PM
+1. I've been using this for years. Love it. I keep it on my belt buckle. Sometimes on my TS fence.

I don't know why everyone has to get so technical about it. I leave mine on my TS fence as well. Some people complain about them but I have NEVER had an issue with it in well over 4 years.

Joseph Tarantino
03-30-2013, 5:12 PM
I think both of you are arguing over "to each his own." Frankly, it really depends on how you do woodworking, how much you use your DC, the size of your shop, and how much noise your DC makes. For repetitive or sequential operations there is no need, and in fact it is bad to turn the DC motor on and off too often (typically more than 6 times per hour.) If your shop is small you don't need much. If your DC is noisy, you might be inclined to turn it off more than a quiet or remotely located DC. If you have a small but cramped shop, a daisy-chained iVAC (non RF) setup requires way too many cords and wires running all over.

And quite honestly until they release their forthcoming autogate (if it works and doesn't cost a mint) and you integrate them into an unobtrusive wireless system, the iVAC doesn't let

IMHO it falls far short. Only autogates and an automated DC do that.

the OPs opening question related to dust collector activation. and relative to that, auto activators, like ivacs and even the craftsman autoswitch, eliminate a manual step in activating ancillary tools in hobbyist shops where continual dust collector operation is not the desired method of operation.

Alan Schaffter
03-30-2013, 10:19 PM
the OPs opening question related to dust collector activation. and relative to that, auto activators, like ivacs and even the craftsman autoswitch, eliminate a manual step in activating ancillary tools in hobbyist shops where continual dust collector operation is not the desired method of operation.

Yes, but some folks don't want or need anything more than a simple RF remote, hence my statement.

Some will want multiple wired button stations or micro-switches on blast gates so they don't have to worry about losing an RF fob XMTR, some may want limited automation offered by a more complex iVac-like system, while some will want more capable, more automated systems. Some may be willing and able to pay several hundred (thousand?) dollars for a fully automated industrial system like the Ecogate. Again, everyone has their own resources and requirements.

Personally, the way I typically work, I never saw any benefit in a manual (wired button or RF remote) or automatic (iVAc) system that would just start the DC. Starting the DC is the easy part and can be done using a number of simple, inexpensive methods. What was most important to me was having the blast gates automatically operate, so I elected to design and build a system which did that and which would also control the DC. But again, that is me- to each his own based on their shop, DC, work habits, knowledge, skills, resources, and desires.

John Lifer
03-31-2013, 8:58 AM
I guess I'm not a gentleman woodworker. I'd love to be one, but current situation limits that ability:)
In my garage shop, I move the DC hose to whatever machine I'm using, and then cut on the DC with remote. If I'm doing other work immediately, I'll leave the DC on and move hose. If more than a couple of minutes, it is shut off. But it isn't cycled that much, an nowhere near as much as the IVac would do. My other main shop in MS has a cyclone outside. Powered again by RC, one of the older red systems. Sorry, 450 miles away. Never any issue with it. Shop there is hard piped down center and each drop has a gate that is opened prior to use. In my opinion, the Remote systems all work well, it would be great to have gate powered, but the $'s aren't there.

Alan Schaffter
03-31-2013, 9:56 AM
I guess I'm not a gentleman woodworker. I'd love to be one, but current situation limits that ability:)
In my garage shop, I move the DC hose to whatever machine I'm using, and then cut on the DC with remote. If I'm doing other work immediately, I'll leave the DC on and move hose. If more than a couple of minutes, it is shut off. But it isn't cycled that much, an nowhere near as much as the IVac would do. My other main shop in MS has a cyclone outside. Powered again by RC, one of the older red systems. Sorry, 450 miles away. Never any issue with it. Shop there is hard piped down center and each drop has a gate that is opened prior to use. In my opinion, the Remote systems all work well, it would be great to have gate powered, but the $'s aren't there.

Don't sell the iVAC short- I believe you can program it for a delay-on-shutdown to reduce the danger of rapid cycling.

In addition to the convenience of having an automated system, I'm a tinkerer at heart so took on the design and construction of my system for fun and a challenge. I am always designing and building things like that. My second licensed woodworking design (the I-BOX was the first) is due to hit the market soon, but due to costs and complexity I never seriously considered trying to market a version of my auto-gate system. (My high dust alarm is a different story ;) )