PDA

View Full Version : hand plane noob miter shooting question

Calvin Crutchfield
03-26-2013, 4:20 PM
I have recently learned how to sharpen and use planes for standard tasks. It is quite rewarding when you need to shave a bit off to get a perfect fit and achieve it using a hand plane that you sharpened and the shavings just curl out all pretty and thin.

What I really gravitated to was the use of a shooting board for trimming and mitering. I like the LN #9 but also see the #51. I don't understand why one would want the #51 as it appears to only be able to be used from the right side of the board. I know you can flip your stock and use only one side of the board, but the video I saw from Mr Charlesworth shows using the #9 from both sides of the board.

Am I missing something, or is the #51 simply to be used from one side? I don't understand when one would be used over the other or why one would buy the 51 vs the 9.

Thanks,
Calvin

David Weaver
03-26-2013, 4:40 PM
it's a one side plane. It's intended to go on a metal shooting board that is specially made from the plane. LN has just been (e)specially slow about getting the shoot board to market with it.

See the following link for stanley's version.

It's a gentleman's tool, you don't need it to shoot. I'm sure it works well, but the size of stanley's board suggests it's for small things, and that's an awful lot of money as a pair (about $1k is what it will probably be) to shoot small things that can be shot really with any bench plane.

http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan7.htm (go down until you get to the 51 and 52).

That said, if you have the cash to burn and you want to... by all means.

Zach Dillinger
03-26-2013, 4:44 PM
David is right. Shooting doesn't require an expensive specialty plane. They sure are nice, but not necessary.

I made my favorite shooting plane from a repurposed old plane iron and a chuck of beech. It works very, very well.

Calvin Crutchfield
03-26-2013, 5:11 PM
Ah, makes sense now. Wasn't aware there was a#52 to match the #51.

So, #9 it is.

David Weaver
03-26-2013, 5:20 PM
You don't necessarily need a #9, either, but it (the #9) is an exceptionally nice plane that you'll enjoy using if you get one.

Joe Bailey
03-26-2013, 5:20 PM
just a heads-up --
on a competing woodworking forum, Lee Valley Pres. Rob Lee has indicated that LV's version of a shooting plane should appear any time now. Might want to wait and have a look first ...

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
03-26-2013, 7:51 PM
purty plane, Zach. Any details to share? Don't think I've seen you post that one before.

Zach Dillinger
03-27-2013, 9:52 AM
purty plane, Zach. Any details to share? Don't think I've seen you post that one before.

I'm not sure I have posted it before. It's beech, with a cherry wedge and a pink ivory strike button. Its bevel down, bedded at about 30 degrees. Iron is a vintage British iron, forget the maker. Heavy and tapered. Works very well on the shooting board, but honestly I use it for a lot of different stuff. More pics here:
http://eatoncountywoodworker.blogspot.com/2012/03/plane-making-fool.html

Derek Cohen
03-27-2013, 10:47 AM
Its bevel down, bedded at about 30 degrees.

Hi Zac

That clearance angle is interesting! :)

I shall be making one this weekend - not that I am short of a shooting plane, but will be demonstrating (solid and laminated) plane-making at a forthcoming Perth LN Tool Event. I intend to make a BD 40 degree bed. Blade will have a 25 degree bevel. At least that is 15 degrees for clearance. Are you sure of your figures?

Regards from Perth

Derek