PDA

View Full Version : SCMI T3 shaper value?

Daniel Atkins
03-26-2013, 3:53 PM
Does anyone have opinions on this shaper, and if they are favorable ones what might be a fair price to pay for it? Many thanks, Daniel

Jeff Duncan
03-26-2013, 6:50 PM
Looks like a Minimax to me, a lighter duty version of the SCM shapers. Fair price depends on a lot of factors like condition, hp, spindles, other features etc etc.

good luck,
JeffD

Daniel Atkins
03-26-2013, 7:39 PM
Thanks Jeff, I guess it would help if I had included that info from the listing. It's listed for $1500, which seems high from looking around the internet. I was hoping someone might know if it was a decent shaper or not.

SCMI T3. In very good condition. .75" spindle, 230 Vac. Single phase. 3 hp. 2 speed electrical switch, 3 position drive pulleys. Sliding table, many accessories, low run time.

Jeff Duncan
03-27-2013, 9:54 AM
Values are a tough thing especially with machines that are less popular. For example, you can find prices for used Delta HD shapers any day of the week, prices of MiniMax....not so much? So I'll throw this out there, if you need a shaper, and this one is in good shape with low hours as advertised, I think that's a pretty reasonable asking price. If it comes with some cutters and accessories even more so. I have not used that particular shaper, but from what I know about MiniMax it's likely a bit better built than the Delta's and Powermatics....which are the machines I'd compare it to. (It's not an industrial shaper like a SCM T-110 or similar.) Plus you add in the sliding table and I don't think your really going to go wrong.

Hopefully someone who has used one will come along and offer a better evaluation of it. Other than that I think it would at least be worth a look;)

good luck,
JeffD

Daniel Atkins
03-27-2013, 10:43 AM
Thanks again Jeff,

The shaper is a 2 1/2 hour drive away and has no tooling. The sliding table (and liking my Mini Max 20" band saw) is what interested me, but I think $1000 is a more reasonable price for it. There was also a Mini Max T40 (5HP,1PH, 3/4" & 1 1/4" spindles, and a 3 wheel power feeder) listed in the same area for $1750, but I haven't heard back if it's still available so I think it may be gone.

Stephen Cherry
03-27-2013, 12:11 PM
Daniel, what do you plan on doing with a shaper? It's been my experience that the 1 1/4" spindle machines are much more capable for general purpose use. For example, if you want to use tenoning discs with the sliding table, or a big corrugated cutterhead, the bigger spindle makes it possible. For cabinet doors, a 3/4 machine is OK, but a bigger machine would be better. The machine in the picture looks like it would be good for the cope cut on one side, and a pattern cut on the other for doors.

I agree, 1,000 would be much more reasonable than 1750.

Daniel Atkins
03-27-2013, 1:55 PM
Thanks Stephen,

I was mostly thinking cabinet doors for starters, but it's always hard to know what you'll possibly use a machine for until you've got a body of experience using it. That's why this forum is so wonderful, I always appreciate help in not being a bonehead. I hadn't really thought about the possible limitations of the 3/4" spindle, but now thanks to you I am. Getting into bigger cutterheads would also want more HP than this machine, but it still might have a role in the bigger picture.

Stephen Cherry
03-27-2013, 2:19 PM
I can't say what a good deal on this machine would be, but if you only make one kitchens worth of doors, it seems to me that it would earn it's keep. If the add has aged a little, it never hurts to make an offer to see if the seller would be interested. I have bought several machines like this, and more than once the seller has thanked me for making an offer.

Jeff Duncan
03-27-2013, 2:33 PM
I agree with Stephen the 1-1/4" spindles are good to have, however even with the larger spindle I wouldn't go trying to run large tenoning discs with that machine. You also need a large quill, large bearings, and the large HP of a bigger shaper. That said you could contact Erik from MiniMax who frequents this site and make sure the spindles on that specific machine are interchangeable. For cabinet doors that machine should do just fine;)

I also agree about making an offer to see what happens, but if your serious about wanting it just be careful you don't insult the guy by offering too low. Shapers like this may get a bit more money as they are a good size machine for a home shop. That makes them appealing to a larger field of potential buyers. Whereas larger industrial machines are mostly appealing to guys with bigger shops and 3 phase power. Shapers in general these days seem to be moving pretty slow, but $1k still seems low to me....then again I'm not selling it;)

JeffD

Jeremy Pense
03-27-2013, 3:15 PM
Hmmm, you guys are making me think the $300 I paid for my T3 was a good deal. Mine had a bit of a rusty top, but that buffed out fine. Theres a piece missing from that picture. It's the hold down that goes on the big round vertical post. I don't have one either, but it is shown in the manual. Here is the manual. http://www.minimax-usa.com/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_details&gid=17&Itemid=39 The hold down in on Page 18, #19.

Jeff Duncan
03-27-2013, 6:37 PM
I don't think you could easily replace the motor for $300.....so I'd say it's a good deal. FWIW a replacement spindle alone for my machine costs over $800....so value is all in how you look at it;)

JeffD

Daniel Atkins
03-28-2013, 9:35 AM
Thanks everyone, this has been very informative!

Erik Loza
03-28-2013, 10:07 AM
Daniel, you can always bush-up the spindle to whatever diameter you need...

http://www.amanatool.com/shaper/bu-902.html

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

Bob Falk
03-29-2013, 9:08 PM
I have this exact machine (Minimax) and paid $900....it is a wonderful machine and it is a very heavy duty and well balanced. I used to have a Delta and it was nowhere near the machine this one is. The sliding table is very useful. $1500 seems high to me, but that may just be that I paid less. I would figure in the cost of a feeder....mine cost $1000 new.

My guess is if you do any amount of shaper work, you won't regret it.

Rich Riddle
03-29-2013, 9:41 PM
I own that exact Mini Max shaper in green. It has a 3/4" spindle but it could change to run a 1.25" spindle with that strong 4 HP motor. I have an unpopular view of what tools are worth. To me, a fair price is both one that would make the buyer and seller believe each got a fair deal. If you currently owned this machine, would you be willing to sell yours for $1000 set up exactly as it sits or would you expect more? Mine replaced a Jet and there is no comparison between the two units. Ask Erik the current price for the equivalent shaper.

Erik Loza
03-30-2013, 9:06 AM
...To me, a fair price is both one that would make the buyer and seller believe each got a fair deal...

You know, that is really a great answer. I get phone calls all the time from folks looking at used machines, who ask what it should be priced at or, "How high would you bid?". Very difficult to answer that question because no two potential buyers have the same set of priorities. Also, folks will ask me, "What does that machine sell for today?", and that is likewise difficult to answer. It's just like cars or trucks. Yes, Ford still makes the F150 but would you use the price of a 2013 F150 as a basis to value a 1990 F150? Like Rich says, you will ultimately pay what you think it is worth.

Erik Loza
Minimax USA