PDA

View Full Version : Look out... I had a thought

Stew Hagerty
03-26-2013, 11:27 AM
I know it is probably a dangerous thing... But I had an idea :eek:

The LOML and I were out and about and I happened to walk by a display of those "Space Bags". All of a sudden it hit me...

Has anyone ever thought of trying one of these as a Veneer Press?

Lee Valley has a manual pump bag system: http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?cat=1,250,43298,43314,51167&p=51167. I would think that these Space Bags should produce as much clamping pressure as it does.

Just a thought. I bought a 3-pack for $4.95 and figure, if not veneer, I'll use it for something.

Roy Harding
03-26-2013, 11:59 AM
Let us know how it works - sounds like a valid idea.

Just make sure to wrap your veneer package in an onion bag or something similar to ensure all the air is evacuated.

I use a vacuum press I bought from an online skateboard site - it works well, and I can't see the difference between it, and the space bags - perhaps the strength of the bag itself, mine is a fairly heavy plastic.

Steve Rozmiarek
03-26-2013, 12:27 PM
A vacuum cleaner won't make enough vacuum I bet, if you plan on using it as your vacuum source.

Brian Triplett
03-26-2013, 12:27 PM
We used those space saver bags for a move and if you did not get them into the suitcase quickly they would allow air back in so unless you pump the whole time I don't think it would be a good idea with modifying the zip lock system.

glenn bradley
03-26-2013, 12:38 PM
We used those space saver bags for a move and if you did not get them into the suitcase quickly they would allow air back in so unless you pump the whole time I don't think it would be a good idea with modifying the zip lock system.

I'll second this. Even if you buy the "name brand" (versus some crud like the ones Harbor Freight sells) I have a failure rate of about 50%. Space Bag (http://www.spacebag.com) is excellent about promptly replacing bags that fail and once you get a good one they stay under vacuum for . . . well, I'm not sure how long its been but, its been over a year on some of mine. So, it takes a little luck or diligence but, once you have a good seal, you're good. As to the means of getting adequate vacuum for veneering, I'm not sure.

Stew Hagerty
03-26-2013, 2:43 PM
I'll second this. Even if you buy the "name brand" (versus some crud like the ones Harbor Freight sells) I have a failure rate of about 50%. Space Bag (http://www.spacebag.com) is excellent about promptly replacing bags that fail and once you get a good one they stay under vacuum for . . . well, I'm not sure how long its been but, its been over a year on some of mine. So, it takes a little luck or diligence but, once you have a good seal, you're good. As to the means of getting adequate vacuum for veneering, I'm not sure.

So, if I can get a good seal on one, it might work if the vacuum sucks enough... Then again, It might now work for veneering, but still be good for sweaters... Or, the bags might be junk and I might have set fire to that $5 bill... :confused:

Seriously... Roy, Steve, Brian, Glenn, thanks for the comments. I guess I'll just have to give it a try and find out for myself. I've got something I wanted to use some veneer on coming up pretty soon. I'll keep everyone updated.

Jeff Duncan
03-26-2013, 2:44 PM
I haven't tried those specific bags, but you can really use any air tight plastic film for vac pressing. There are shops out there that buy rolls of thin mil plastic tube that they just unroll the length needed and dispose of when done. There are many tricks for sealing bags out there if you search a bit.

As for creating the vacuum....not sure about that. Different projects require different amounts of vacuum. However if your trying with a regular shop vac or similar I'm not sure if you could get enough pull to effectively clamp or not:confused: Obviously you would NOT want to test the theory with anything of value;)

good luck,
JeffD

Joe Shinall
03-26-2013, 4:16 PM
My wife bought a bunch of those space bags and went to town with pillows, sheets, blankets, etc... to clean up our house of clutter. She was proud of herself, she got an entire closet of stuff down into a small hall cabinet. 3 days later, she opened up the cabinet and all but one of the 8 or 9 bags had let loose. We ended up with a very tightly packed cabinet and took forever to try and pull some of that stuff out.

Also the sharp corners of the veneer may puncture the thin bags once suction is applied. Just a thought. Hell, try it and see how it goes. Hope for the best.

Andrew Joiner
03-26-2013, 4:34 PM
My wife bought a bunch of those space bags and went to town with pillows, sheets, blankets, etc... to clean up our house of clutter. She was proud of herself, she got an entire closet of stuff down into a small hall cabinet. 3 days later, she opened up the cabinet and all but one of the 8 or 9 bags had let loose. We ended up with a very tightly packed cabinet and took forever to try and pull some of that stuff out.

Also the sharp corners of the veneer may puncture the thin bags once suction is applied. Just a thought. Hell, try it and see how it goes. Hope for the best.

So if you would have put a veneer lay-up in the cabinet first this might have worked.:)

Joe Shinall
03-26-2013, 4:51 PM
So if you would have put a veneer lay-up in the cabinet first this might have worked.:)

I wouldn't say might, I would say it would have worked no doubt. I literally had a foot on the cabinet face pulling a sheet out. I could hear the face creak from the pressure.

Stew Hagerty
03-27-2013, 10:25 AM
I wouldn't say might, I would say it would have worked no doubt. I literally had a foot on the cabinet face pulling a sheet out. I could hear the face creak from the pressure.

Wasn't that on an episode of I Love Lucy?

Joe Shinall
03-27-2013, 11:16 AM
Wasn't that on an episode of I Love Lucy?

I only caught that show on reruns as a kid on nick at nite. All i can remember was the chocolate conveyor episode.

John TenEyck
03-27-2013, 12:43 PM
If the bags hold you still have the problem of vacuum. A vacuum cleaner might pull about 80" water. A vacuum pump for veneering pulls about 26" Hg. 1" Hg = about 14" water, so a vacuum cleaner will only give you about 1/6 the amount of vacuum as a pump. That might be enough for some simple flat veneering.

John

Stew Hagerty
04-01-2013, 12:38 PM

OK, I did the testing and I have a result.

Glenn you were spot on. My bags were of the "crud" variety. They all held vacuum for just about 12 hours. By 24 hours, I was able to lift up on the fitting and see space between the bag & my test board (I used a piece of plywood and a sheet of drafting paper). Initially it appeared that it pulled everything in very tightly although, having never done vacuum veneering before, I don't really have any frame of reference.

I ordered a manual vacuum press system from Lee Valley on Friday.

When it gets here I will replicate my test using this system, that is known to work (apparently it was designed for making skateboards), and then report back.

Roy Harding
04-01-2013, 1:18 PM
The one Lee Valley sells looks very much like the one I purchased from a skateboard company about five years ago. It works fine - although I don't do a lot of veneering, it gets used six to eight times a year and has never failed me. Just make sure that the seal is good when you use it.

Stew Hagerty
04-02-2013, 1:57 PM
The one Lee Valley sells looks very much like the one I purchased from a skateboard company about five years ago. It works fine - although I don't do a lot of veneering, it gets used six to eight times a year and has never failed me. Just make sure that the seal is good when you use it.

That is good to hear Roy. Thanks.