PDA

View Full Version : New member, looking for idea's

Frank Parker
05-10-2005, 12:59 AM
Just got started turning about 2 months a go, I've been mostly working with black walnut as I've got about 2000 lbs of it. I've also started doing some segmented stuff too,I'll post some picture later. I got some redwood burl I', trying to figure out what to make out of it, the one in the center is about 4' by 3' it was cut about 15 years ago. any idea's would be welcome

Frank

thomas prevost
05-10-2005, 1:12 AM
Ifen ya don't figure something out, I'll send you may address for shipping. Seriously, some real neat looking wood. No matter what you turn it will look great with that kind of wood.

Frank Parker
05-10-2005, 1:20 AM
Here's some bowls I turned out of the last redwood burls I got, the yellow wood I've been told is nutmeg it was cut about 40 years ago been setting in the company shop ever since, it has a real strong sweet smell so strong that you have to wear a resperator when you work it.

p.s. the above burls are about 3" to 4" thick.

Frank

Gary Max
05-10-2005, 6:04 AM
That is some very cool looking wood.
I would stay home instead of going fishing today if I had a chunk of that.
got to run---fish are calling.

John Hart
05-10-2005, 6:33 AM
Yep...that's nice wood all right...And you do nice work Frank. Sheesh..with a ton of wood, you don't need ideas...you need time!!:)

Jeff Sudmeier
05-10-2005, 8:16 AM
Frank, Welcome to the Creek! We are glad to have you as a new member!

I would kill, well not kill, maybe steal some burls like you have!! That is some awsome wood you have there. The best part is you have the skills to back it up.

I look forward to seeing more of your work! Once again, welcome to the creek!

Frank Parker
05-10-2005, 11:58 AM
Yes time is the problem, I get a couple of hours after work and maybe the weekends to play in the shop. Right now I can't do any turning because my lathe broke a drive belt. To get to the belt you have to apart the entire head unit to get to it, it's under warranty so Sears will come the house and fix it. It's a sears 15".
Here's a ( tulip) poplar bowl I did 7" by 3", finished with tung oil

Frank