PDA

View Full Version : Heating and cooling system cost

Bruce Koch
03-25-2013, 5:27 PM
I am going to build a 40 x 50 shop with 10 foot ceilings. I got a quote for a Ruud air to air heat pump with a lp backup with ductwork for 15 grand. I thought this was a little high. The shop will be located in northern MN. Any comments?

Ed Aumiller
03-25-2013, 6:36 PM
Put in a 6 (six) ton ground source heat pump (either buried pipe or similiar).....
You can buy them on eBay and bury the pipe yourself....

Brian Elfert
03-25-2013, 8:16 PM
In 2001 it cost about $13,000 to install the duct work, A/C unit, and 92% natural gas furnace in my new house. My cost also included zoning the 1st and 2nd floor in separate zones.

Prices for steel and labor have certainly gone up in the past 12 years and a heat pump costs more than just an A/C unit. If the installers do a 1st class job then the price isn't terribly out of line I don't think. If the installers are hacks just in it to get in and out in a hurry then the price is probably too high. I would certainly look at ground source (geothermal) if funds allow. I don't know if the 30% tax credit for ground source applies to a shop building or not.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-25-2013, 8:20 PM
Get more estimates from other companies. With more estimates, you will have a better view of pricing and can make an informed decision. Pricing most things can vary considerably depending on geographical location.

Carroll Courtney
03-25-2013, 9:49 PM
Guessing that since you have LP for backup no natural gas which knocks out the suspented space heaters like what you would see in a warehouse.Heat pumps are only good down to certain degree then the backup heat comes on,which where your at may be quit often.Just not alot of options using LP,which is still better than all electric.Like others said,get quotes from couple of larger companys then get some from the smaller companys maybe the one man shows.IMO the one man show thats been in business for awhile I think will provide more of a personnel touch.----Carroll

Lee Schierer
03-25-2013, 10:30 PM
Put in a 6 (six) ton ground source heat pump (either buried pipe or similiar).....
You can buy them on eBay and bury the pipe yourself....

I concur, a regular heat pump in MN is not going to be very efficient for most of the winter, where as the ground source unit will be.