PDA

View Full Version : Laser Printer & online fax service???

Charles McKinley
05-09-2005, 11:03 PM
Hi All,

I'm interested in buying a home office quality laser printer and need some recommendation. Not just the cost of the printer but which one is easiest to change toner and who has the lowest cost per page for printing?

Does anyone here use an online fax service rather than having a second or third phone line just for the fax machine. If not how are you handling the fax without adding an extra phone line. :confused:

Thank you,

Michael Perata
05-10-2005, 12:45 PM
Chuck

I recently upgraded my HP 23xx InkJet to a Minolta-QMS color laser printer. It cost about $600 and has excellent quality. Downsides: It is a multi-pass printer so if you are only printing B/W turn the color off for faster printing and it takes 4 ink modules.

I have DSL service so I use the POTS line portion of the service for dedicated fax use. I would reccomend if you do install a second line for a fax, do not also hook it up to a modem. There are too many crooks out there downloading dialer programs onto your PC that WILL dial $4.00/minute calls to Antigua.

Don Bergren
05-10-2005, 7:34 PM
I can't help with a printer, but I've been using the online fax service efax.com since 1999 with no regrets. There are two different options. One is the free option that lets you recieve faxes over your internet connection, but to send a fax you would use fax software and send out a fax via your phone line. So it's in via online, and out via regular phone connection.

The second option lets you both send and recieve faxes online. This option costs $12.95 per month plus a small charge per minute for outgoing faxes. Incoming faxes have no per minute charge.

I'm not a real heavy fax user, but I've been real happy with efax.com. I've used the pay version for the last four years or so. I have no affilation or financial interest in the company, I'm just a satisified user.