PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

Dennis Peacock
03-25-2013, 12:09 PM
25 Mar 2013

Good Morning everyone,
Been a long hard week at the day job and I came down with the crud starting last Wednesday night. Been trying to work and deal with this crude since Thursday of last week. Just got back from the doc and getting meds. Here's to hoping things improve once the meds kick in.

The LOML's birthday is this week and I'm hoping to surprise her with me cooking her a b-day meal.....now, coming from me, and it's not breakfast, will surely be a treat as I am NOT a cook in general and typically when I cook....or try to anyway.......well, we'll just say that it's much better if we go out to eat. :)
No matter what, I'm getting the LOML Jr to help me out so I don't really screw up the b-day meal for the LOML. Wish me luck.!!!!

That's it for me...so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

Tai Fu
03-25-2013, 12:12 PM
I have been working on three tables, doing mortise/tenon joints for the first time, not easy because my slot wasn't perfectly aligned on the get go, so I had to make adjustments. I am also trying to build a better workbench... I got a bunch of beech floor panels from some construction sites years ago and ended up cutting them up and gluing them together piece by piece. It has a bunch of tongue and groove, so I can only make it 2 1/2" thick. With limited clamps this is going to be a slow process...

Matt Meiser
03-25-2013, 12:57 PM
Nothing to report here. Been crazy busy at work working long hours and another week on the road last week. My only real accomplishments for the weekend were installing a new TV antenna, installing a recessed outlet, and moving the cabling for a new wall-mounted TV/Monitor in my office into the wall.

Alden Miller
03-25-2013, 1:22 PM
I am nearing the end of building my new workshop (fire is bad for workshops by the way). I installed the last of the battens on my board and batten siding. I have some soffit work and an attic access hole to cut and I am done.

-Alden

Ralph Butts
03-25-2013, 1:29 PM
I came across 3 cords of cherry firewood for next year so my truck and I got a very good workout yesterday.

David Weaver
03-25-2013, 1:52 PM
Wrapped up a bookcase for my daughter. Only picture I have is before putting a T&G back on it, though. Fairly simple, but made entirely by hand (from rough lumber, joinery, etc) with the exception of the miters (I used an old but accurate US made dewalt saw for those), and thicknessing junk wood for T&G backs. The rest of it was hand planed from rough, ripped to size by hand, etc and the mouldings cut with a pair of #12s that I made along the way, etc.

Finished planing out the T&G saturday (cut that with an old stanley T&G plane) and nailed it to the back yesterday, and will post that when I can get a picture tonight. Pre moulding picture for joinery shown, I don't so much believe in letting that stuff show on a finished project, so it's covered in the final result.

Edited to add last picture. Little wax left around the corners that the flash really picked up....oops.

John Sanford
03-25-2013, 2:06 PM
Went forth and collected 160bf of S3S soft maple for my workbench build.

Jeremy Hamaker
03-25-2013, 2:17 PM
Went to a David Ellsworth Wordturning presentation on Saturday. Then after getting a AAA tow home of the car I drove there (died just as I got to the parking lot, Halleluah!), I spent sunday changing out the alternator (which required the detachment of the engine from all THREE of its passenger side motor mounts, and a lift up from the floor jack.)

Ken Fitzgerald
03-25-2013, 2:22 PM
Continued with the shop cleanup, stationary tool realignment.

Then started my new router station.

Bill Space
03-25-2013, 8:32 PM
Hi,

Well I don't have any pictures, but I did find my work bench under that pile of stuff it was hidden under!

And made some real progress getting my shop back into a state where I can work in it again!!!

Dave Ray
03-25-2013, 9:03 PM
David, this is really nice. I like what you have done, please show a pic with the back on. Thank you

Shawn Pixley
03-25-2013, 9:36 PM
Last week was one of family illness. I was feeling well enough by Saturday. Saturday was the day of our annual neighborhood clean-up. Houses here have no storage space. We had four dumpsters, a shredding truck, and E-waste drop off. Each dumpster was emptied twice. This is the third year we have arranged it and it went very smoothly this year. All done by 2 in the afternoon. Sunday, I started to spray the lacquer on a guitar I recently made. I got three coats laid down. I am now waiting on a 4th coat to dry.

David Weaver
03-25-2013, 10:00 PM
David, this is really nice. I like what you have done, please show a pic with the back on. Thank you

Thanks for the kind words Dave. I wish I could've gotten a picture without flashing toward the bookcase, the flash sort of washes out the crispness of the moulding, but that's representative of my photo abilities, I guess.

Charles Wiggins
03-25-2013, 10:07 PM
My weekend was a little bit different. Dad had surgery last Thursday and I've been staying with him and Mom while he is recovering. Mom is a retired nurse, but she is no longer physically capable of doing a lot of what he needs help doing.

Dan Rude
03-25-2013, 10:13 PM
On Saturday had our 4th Lions Club community Easter egg hunt. We had over 450 kids hunting eggs and plying carnival games to win coins to buy prizes and candy. My wonderful wife has chaired it every year since we started it as one of our community events. All free to the kids and parents. The local grumpy old men who always collect for our local food shelf raised $50 in cash and filled a pickup with food. Now we are doing the sorting for storage and deciding what games and activities stay or go.
Dan

Bruce Wrenn
03-26-2013, 9:50 PM
Friday and Saturday started a handicap ramp. Sunday (rain) changed out a water closet for a "chair height" one in downstairs bathroom, and moved old WC (low volume, high effic.) to guest bathroom. Monday and today worked on ramp some more. Got to get it done as I'm having BOTH of my knees replaced on April 15th. I'm looking forward to walking without constant pain again!