PDA

View Full Version : Raised Panel White Laminate Doors

Steve Milito
03-25-2013, 11:10 AM
My kitchen has white laminate raised panel doors. I was wondering how that is done and if it's possible to do it on a hobbyist scale.

Stephen Cherry
03-25-2013, 11:59 AM
something like this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E70SqHmoMAo

Richard Coers
03-25-2013, 11:59 AM
It's a thermofoil operation. They send a number of doors into the machine, it rolls out a sheet of thin "plastic" then heat and pull a vacuum. I suppose you could do a similar thing with a vacuum forming machine, but it wouldn't be easy! You can buy those doors for about what the material would cost you. Menards used to sell them, just look around.

Peter Quinn
03-25-2013, 12:09 PM
No feasible way to make thermo foil doors without a membrane press, and IMO no good reason to try. Those presses are upwards of $100k, you have to make a lot of panels to absorb that kind of cost. Speaking of absorb, have you ever seen a thermo foil door that's gotten wet, say under a sink cabinet? I replaced a kitchen full of those once, they swell up like little sponges and never go back, you have a better chance with wood or plywood.

John TenEyck
03-25-2013, 12:59 PM
For the hobbiest, it's called paint.

John

Jeff Duncan
03-25-2013, 1:29 PM
Thermofoil doors are basically the cheapest kind of door you can produce out of a factory. Much easier to buy them if you want thermofoil....the question is....why would anyone who participates on a "woodworking" forum want thermofoil???:p Consider maybe making yourself some nice replacement doors out of wood;)

good luck,
JeffD

Steve Milito
03-25-2013, 2:14 PM
Thermofoil doors are basically the cheapest kind of door you can produce out of a factory. Much easier to buy them if you want thermofoil....the question is....why would anyone who participates on a "woodworking" forum want thermofoil???:p Consider maybe making yourself some nice replacement doors out of wood;)

good luck,
JeffD

I didn't say I wanted to make them, I was just curious how it was done. I hate the f*&$#@ things and have no intention of making anything similar. I will eventually replace them with wood.

Steve Milito
03-25-2013, 2:15 PM
For the hobbiest, it's called paint.

John
Thank you. That's funny. LOL

Jeff Duncan
03-25-2013, 6:56 PM
I didn't say I wanted to make them, I was just curious how it was done. I hate the f*&$#@ things and have no intention of making anything similar. I will eventually replace them with wood.

Oh good.....that's great to hear, I didn't want to come right out and say it.....but it's how I feel as well:D

Jeff