PDA

View Full Version : Few things different between Jet and Powermatic 3520b

mark ravensdale
03-25-2013, 10:48 AM
Hi guys!
My jet 3520b finally arrived Tuesday, had no one to help so had to assemble it myself (ouch, this things heavy!!!) anyhow somehow I managed to do it, but while I was getting things sorted I noticed a few things different between the Jet version and the powermatic version, first on my Jet 3520b the inverter is protected by a well made steel housing (it's quite a stronge housing made out of pressed steel and does not look like an after thought) I have never seen this housing on any of the pictures/videos of the US powermatic that I have seen, maybe it is there to conform to some European standard regarding RFI ???
Also the spindle thread is 33 by 3.5 and not the 1 1/4 by 8 of the US powermatic (thank heavens for the oneway adapter boss!!!)
Another thing I noticed was that while using a file to make the toolrest that came with it smooth, after removing the black paint (the jet is sold with a white and black spray job) guess what color was underneath ??? That's right, powermatic gold/mustard/yellow, so maybe all 3520b's are sprayed powermatic gold (the largest market being the USA) and then the ones intended for sale in Europe (and anywhere else) are then over-sprayed white and black ???
Also was pleased to find that the magnetic remote on/off switch comes as standard with the Jet but I am pretty sure you guys in the US have to either buy it as an extra or make one yourselves (which is not too hard I think after watching some videos abt it on YouTube !)
Only had a few minutes worth of turning on it as yet, but noticed straight away that this lathe feels solid with very little vibration felt (made a shelf and added some extra weight to it, total weight around 1200lbs now) can't wait to get a big wet blank on it and give it a real try-out, but unfortunately we still have snow on the ground and my workshop is a total mess and needs sorting/tidying up before I can give it a real workout (wish I could just click my fingers and hey presto it's tidy, but no such luck!!!)

David Reed
03-25-2013, 10:53 AM
Congrats on the new machine.
Have you tried clicking your heels???

Ken Fitzgerald
03-25-2013, 11:09 AM
Congratulations Mark! May it serve you well! I sure like mine.

The differences may be due to different safety/electrical requirements in Europe versus the US as far as the remote being standard and RF shielding provided by the cover over the inverter.

bob svoboda
03-25-2013, 11:21 AM
Sounds like a great unit. ENJOY!

Dick Mahany
03-25-2013, 11:53 AM
Congrats! You'll enjoy it for sure. Pics, where are the pics :) ?

charlie knighton
03-25-2013, 2:26 PM
enjou.......