PDA

View Full Version : Laser just stopped firing.

Bruce Dorworth
03-25-2013, 12:43 AM
Rodney, I have a Chinese laser that is about 1 1/2 years old. The laser just stopped firing. I imagine it is the tube, but was wondering what tests and in what order you would do. I have two more tubes in house, so it is no huge deal.

No offense to anyone else, but Rodney is familiar with the Chinese lasers so that is the reason I addressed it to him. I will definitely take advise from anyone else offering it.

Thanks everyone for reading this.

Bruce

Rodne Gold
03-25-2013, 5:21 AM
Bruce , The reci tube is a long life one so it should be ok , but before you change it out , check the power led is on on the tube power supply and that none of the safety interlocks (if you have them) is faulty , also check the flow meter , if it or the safety locks don't make the circuit , the laser wont fire. You can disable both in software to trouble shoot. It's most likely under vendor settings , you may need a password. Gweike can oblige.
If none of these are the culprit , its the tube , check out the RECI site to see what colours the metal bits inside will be if the tube is blown..probably under warantee section..my internet is slow due to an undersea cable problem , so can't get you the exact place...

John Finnegan
03-25-2013, 10:12 AM
I just had the exact same thing happen on my 100W machine. My GWeike only has about 1 hour of cutting time on it (just recently received). One day it worked fine, the next... nothing.

I would be very interested to know what physical signs a 100W RECI tube has when it's blown.

The vendor has suggested that I remove the 5/6 wire plug on the power supply and then test the laser. I did so, but still do not have any laser output or amps showing. When the 5/6 wire plug is connected, the green light illuminates when I press 'Laser' but it does not fire nor show any amps on the meter. The yellow light on the power supply seems to be very faintly illuminated, but never comes on at full strength. The red light remains off. The power supply fan is functioning fine.

I'm very interested in any other tests I could possibly do.

Thanks,
John

Rodne Gold
03-25-2013, 11:38 AM
The reci site had a document that showed "bad" colours (yellow or purplish blue)
I think this is a pic of how the electrical bits in the tube should look like
http://www.maxtie.com/userfileupload/1356746531277.JPG
I cant find the other stuff as the site has changed.
A gas leak could also stop the laser firing....
I would try contact RECI as they make both the tube and PS..not sure what joy you will have but you might as well try.

Bruce Dorworth
03-25-2013, 11:41 AM
Rodney, thanks for the prompt response. This is not in my new GWeike machine. I bought an Argus laser about 18 months ago. My daughter was using it so much I decided to sell it to her and buy a new one. The laser not firing is on her machine, the one with the lifetime warranty backed by Dad. This machine has an 80 watt regular glass tube.

Bruce

Rodne Gold
03-25-2013, 6:27 PM
18 months use is a fair run for the cheaper 800-1000 hrs tubes , it's most likely gonners...you can replace it with a reci and the corresponding PS , round $600 or so for both

Bruce Dorworth
03-26-2013, 2:30 AM
Well that is 18 months of little or no use. I have one of the 80 watt glass tubes that I got when I bought the machine. Lets see how much life is in them. I figured that would probably be the first place to look.

Thanks Rodney,
Bruce

Rodne Gold
03-26-2013, 3:32 AM
The issue with the cheaper tubes is more gas leakage or contamination than actual hours usage..it leaks gas over time due to seals and whatever else and eventually stops working.

Bruce Dorworth
03-26-2013, 1:51 PM
Yeah I know, That makes me wonder how long the tube that I bought with this machine will last.

Bruce

Rodne Gold
03-26-2013, 2:29 PM
Well, we tested all our 3 Reci tubes the other day , 2 spares and a working one , all tested 100% and its now 2 years on. I had a 60w cheapy on the shelf for a year and a bit and it worked fine when my old one went.

John Finnegan
03-26-2013, 10:48 PM
An update to my problem. Lucy at GWeike was very helpful and patient.

It turns out that the problem was due to faulty connecting wire - the black wire that goes from the chiller to the laser. I'm not sure how such a simple thing could go bad, but when I strung electrical wire from prong to prong, everything worked fine.