PDA

View Full Version : Farm Sinks

Bill ThompsonNM
03-25-2013, 12:05 AM
My better half as decided she would like a farmhouse sink. Although I'm planning a kitchen remodel in the near future (late this year) our currents kitchen faucet and sink are crying for replacement even sooner. Am I crazy to think that I might cut out he sink base and replace it ahead of the other cabinets? Any one have any experience building a cabinet for a farm sink? It's not really similar to any regular base cabinets. Thanks or any suggestions.

Jamie Buxton
03-25-2013, 1:15 AM
I've built the cabinets for a kitchen with a farmhouse sink. The big thing is that a farmhouse sink is heavy. Is the proposed new sink narrower than your existing sink base? If so, you probably can remove the old setup and put in a new one. You'll probably need to replace the counter too. Me, I'd wait until I did the whole kitchen to put in the farmhouse sink. Of course, if you're not really sure you're going to do the whole kitchen, then maybe it makes sense to do the sink now.

Sam Murdoch
03-25-2013, 7:18 AM
As Jamie says - farm sinks are heavy, they are also not exact in any dimension. You will need to add a full panel with supports to the base of your cabinet and depending on how that (the existing cabinet) is built you might be better to support the new horizontal panel all the way to the floor. If it truly will be temporary you might just cut down any framing and/or top rail and slip your sink in. Otherwise you will likely need to add some trim. You'll also have a slot at the back of the counter that will need a piece of fill and some trim or caulking to do at the sides of the top.

Depending on some variables (a photo would be helpful for the best advice) this can be a hard job to make look good unless you are replacing your existing counter top and are a pretty competent woodworker. Waiting is not bad advice - but jumping in can be fun too :)

Oh - and don't forget that you will need to resize or make new doors!

Chris Rosenberger
03-25-2013, 8:00 AM
As the others have stated, you will need to rebuild the cabinet & rework or replace the counter top. The faucet mounts to the counter top with a farmhouse sink.
If the old sink & faucet will not make it, do a temporary fix with a low cost sink & faucet.

Bill ThompsonNM
03-25-2013, 8:25 AM
Here's a picture. I'm beginning to think the whole kitchen remodel is going to jump ahead in my priority list. At least the base cabinets.

I might just order the sink and hardware before I do anything, though.

Chris Rosenberger
03-25-2013, 9:05 AM
You need to have the sink before building the cabinet & ordering the top.

Here are pictures of a coulpe tat I have done.

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o303/chrisrosenb/Shop%20Projects/IMG_2461.jpg

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o303/chrisrosenb/Shop%20Projects/IMG_2460.jpg

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o303/chrisrosenb/Shop%20Projects/20101223_15_zpsda32b0e8.jpg

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o303/chrisrosenb/Shop%20Projects/20101223_16_zpsee98ebc5.jpg

Gregory King
03-25-2013, 10:39 AM
Chris, just a quick question, and not about the sink. although it looks great. The white cabinets in your last picture, What are your doors made from and what type of paint finish? My wife and I were discussing cabinets this past week-end. Greg

Chris Rosenberger
03-25-2013, 10:52 AM
Chris, just a quick question, and not about the sink. although it looks great. The white cabinets in your last picture, What are your doors made from and what type of paint finish? My wife and I were discussing cabinets this past week-end. Greg

The cabinet fronts are made with soft maple lumber.
The paint is an off white satin enamel from Sherwin Williams. It was their recommended paint for cabinets.

Jamie Buxton
03-25-2013, 10:56 AM
On the kitchen I did, the sink was about 3/8" wider in the middle than in the front, so the front of the cabinet had to go on after the sink was in place. The bottom of the sink was convex, and the rear of the sink was taller than the front, so there was some careful work to get the top horizontal so it could be flush with the countertop. Among the extra cost of the sink, and the extra cost of the cabinetmaking and installation, the homeowner paid a lot to have a farmhouse sink. Me, I'd stick with an undermount sink below a slab granite countertop. Durable, easy to live with, and straightforward to install.

Gregory King
03-25-2013, 10:59 AM
Thanks Chris. On a final note, did you prepaint the raised panel before assembling the doors. Wife and I both like the sink with the cabinets. Fantastic work. Greg

Chris Rosenberger
03-25-2013, 11:34 AM
Thanks Chris. On a final note, did you prepaint the raised panel before assembling the doors. Wife and I both like the sink with the cabinets. Fantastic work. Greg

Thank you Greg.

I did all of the painting after the cabinets & doors were assembled.

Sam Murdoch
03-25-2013, 12:23 PM
You need to have the sink before building the cabinet & ordering the top.

Bill, Just an emphasis on this point.

Nice work Chris!