PDA

View Full Version : Corel x 6 Vertual seg delete for boxes

Ian Wilson (AUST)
03-24-2013, 9:43 PM

Hi Creekers,

I do alot of 100mm x 30mm tags out of Rowmark, with Corel X4 I'd make 1 tag, use step and repeat to copy 6 across and 5 down giving me 30 tags per sheets. I'd use the "Virtual Segment delete" tool to delete the cut lines of the tags that doubled up stoping the laser from cutting twice along the same cut line.

I've upgraded to Corel X6 and when I tryu to do this it deletes both cut lines leaving no line to cut, if I just leave it it cuts twice along the same line!

Any ideas how I can get X6 "Virtual seg delete" to just delete one of the two lines that over lap.

Kind cregards,

Ian

Aaron Koehl
03-24-2013, 11:21 PM
Ian,

This may seem convoluted at first, but give it a whirl.

1. First, create a rectangle (or you can do this on the sample tag you have created).
2. Then, CTRL+Q to convert to curves.
3. Then CTRL+SHIFT+Q to convert outline to object.

Now, with this "outline object", you can do what you want.
Duplicate all your tags as usual (set your horizontal/vertical duplicate to the width/height of your object, then CTRL+D).

4. Select all of your rectangles, and click "SIMPLIFY" (next to weld/trim). Of course, you may want to convert your object outline back to "hairline", depending on your laser.

Voila!

Hi Creekers,

I do alot of 100mm x 30mm tags out of Rowmark, with Corel X4 I'd make 1 tag, use step and repeat to copy 6 across and 5 down giving me 30 tags per sheets. I'd use the "Virtual Segment delete" tool to delete the cut lines of the tags that doubled up stoping the laser from cutting twice along the same cut line.

I've upgraded to Corel X6 and when I tryu to do this it deletes both cut lines leaving no line to cut, if I just leave it it cuts twice along the same line!

Any ideas how I can get X6 "Virtual seg delete" to just delete one of the two lines that over lap.

Kind cregards,

Ian

Ronald Erickson
03-25-2013, 1:57 PM
Since you are cutting rectangles, how about using a Table? You can duplicate your completed object as normal (including the cut rectangle, 6 across, 5 down), then select the table tool, set the number of rows and columns appropriately, then drag the tool from the upper left tag corner to the lower right tag corner. This will create a Table object group (convert to curves with CTRL + Q) consisting of cut lines (rather than individual rectangle objects). After that you can delete your original cut rectangles you used when duplicating. I'll keep exploring to see if there is another way.

Lee DeRaud
03-25-2013, 8:40 PM
ITYM "Grid" tool..."Table" tool does something else even though the icons are almost identical, at least in X4.

Ian Wilson (AUST)
03-25-2013, 9:34 PM
Ian,

This may seem convoluted at first, but give it a whirl.

1. First, create a rectangle (or you can do this on the sample tag you have created).
2. Then, CTRL+Q to convert to curves.
3. Then CTRL+SHIFT+Q to convert outline to object.

Now, with this "outline object", you can do what you want.
Duplicate all your tags as usual (set your horizontal/vertical duplicate to the width/height of your object, then CTRL+D).

4. Select all of your rectangles, and click "SIMPLIFY" (next to weld/trim). Of course, you may want to convert your object outline back to "hairline", depending on your laser.

Voila!

Thanks for your reply but when I hit "simplify" Corel Hangs and then says not responding. It was just SOOO easy in x4...whish they never changed it!!!:mad:

Ronald Erickson
03-26-2013, 12:26 AM
ITYM "Grid" tool..."Table" tool does something else even though the icons are almost identical, at least in X4.

I'm actually using X6 so maybe something has changed. In X6 there is a Table tool and a Graph Paper tool (nothing that I could find called Grid). The Table tool creates a grid using lines (when converted to curves) that don't have any overlap and the graph paper tool uses overlapping rectangles.

Lee DeRaud
03-26-2013, 12:39 AM
I'm actually using X6 so maybe something has changed. In X6 there is a Table tool and a Graph Paper tool (nothing that I could find called Grid). The Table tool creates a grid using lines (when converted to curves) that don't have any overlap and the graph paper tool uses overlapping rectangles.(palm to forehead) And once again I get those two backwards...

Jesse Anderson
03-26-2013, 11:26 AM
I notices when i was using the virtual segment delete on Text. Some time's when i delete a portion of the text border it Trys to auto connect with another line... Like its trying to smooth flow like cursive and forever be connected.

Any advice ?? I have tried to Break apart curves then weld.... It takes me awhile to get it to segment delete into my hairline vector cut. But i eventually figure it out.. Not sure what combination of tools is doing the job though.

Ronald Erickson
03-26-2013, 12:42 PM
Jesse,

Sometimes when you try to delete segments of text that has been converted to a curve it will connect seemingly random nodes in order to close the curve. It's especially noticable when the curve is filled rather than just an outline; the fill may be incomplete and look bad.

If there is a segment of text that you want to delete, try drawing a curve on top of the text and then using the virtual segment delete tool to remove the overlap of the two curves. Afterwards you can join (rather than weld) the two curves together as join seems to fix the fill.

Aaron Koehl
03-28-2013, 11:25 PM
Thanks for your reply but when I hit "simplify" Corel Hangs and then says not responding. It was just SOOO easy in x4...whish they never changed it!!!:mad:

FWIW, make sure you have only your rectangles selected when you simplify, and not the contents/text of your tags; otherwise Corel will start to smoke, and hang, and likely crash.