PDA

View Full Version : Mesquite HF - More Burning and Ebonizing

Kathy Marshall
03-24-2013, 9:14 PM
Mesquite turned green to finish. Wanted to play around with burning and ebonizing again, so I planned ahead on this one. I wanted to leave the rim natural and I added 2 beads to border the burned band. I thought about making a different tip for my burner, but I liked the results of the spiral tip on my last piece so decided to go with that one. After burning the band, I went over it with my vinegar/steel wool solution for the ebonizing.
it's 4 1/2" tall x 5 1/2" wide, finished with antique oil.
Thanks for looking!
Comments and critiques are welcome.

Mike Peace
03-24-2013, 9:19 PM
Great job, Kathy. I like the form and the rim treatment.

Allan Ferguson
03-24-2013, 9:24 PM
That is sweet. Allan

Timothy Mann
03-24-2013, 9:29 PM
Very nice Kathy. Good tool control on your burner, I still have a hard time signing my name.

Dick Mahany
03-24-2013, 9:58 PM
Now that is beautiful. Will the little checks in pic 1 stay constant or will the piece move? I've never tried the pyro, but the more I see, the more I'd like to try it, but I can't draw a straight line with a ruler, let alone that fine detail.

Fred Belknap
03-24-2013, 10:05 PM
Kathy I really like what you did to that piece of mesquite.

Steve Mawson
03-24-2013, 10:09 PM
Kathy,
Like the rim treatment. Is the burner tip pointed and you make each impression free hand?

Doug W Swanson
03-24-2013, 11:09 PM
Looks great!

Kathy Marshall
03-25-2013, 1:14 AM
Thanks everyone!

Now that is beautiful. Will the little checks in pic 1 stay constant or will the piece move? I've never tried the pyro, but the more I see, the more I'd like to try it, but I can't draw a straight line with a ruler, let alone that fine detail.
Dick, the fine cracks will either stay as they are or will close up as the piece dries (I've had them close up with mesquite before where you couldn't find them), the pith cracks will stay as they are (stabilized with CA).

Kathy,
Like the rim treatment. Is the burner tip pointed and you make each impression free hand?
Steve, the burner tip is bent to the shape of the impression, like a brand, so you just stamp it in one at a time.

charlie knighton
03-25-2013, 7:09 AM
very nice, like your spiral brand

Thom Sturgill
03-25-2013, 7:56 AM
Kathy, as always your turning is impeccable. I like the collar too, good job. I've been off my feet for the most part for two weeks, hope to get some shop time in today, but don't think I'll be able to get to burning yet.

Bernie Weishapl
03-25-2013, 10:58 AM
That is one sweet piece Kathy. I like the rim treatment.

jwjerry w kowalski
03-25-2013, 4:56 PM
Nice Kathy, I really like your pyro treatment.

Eric Gourieux
03-25-2013, 7:03 PM
Kathy, that looks great. I like the beading that sets the band apart. Is it hard to keep the ebonizing contained within the band you created?

George Morris
03-25-2013, 7:30 PM
Tat is a beauty! Very well done. Nice form and love the texturing!

Kathy Marshall
03-25-2013, 11:00 PM
Thanks for the additional comments!

Kathy, that looks great. I like the beading that sets the band apart. Is it hard to keep the ebonizing contained within the band you created?
Eric, it's pretty easy to keep the ebonizing contained, more so with the groove at the edge of the bead. I apply the solution while on the lathe. I have the lathe on at 100 rpms (lowest my lathe goes), then I use a foam brush to apply the solution. The foam brush makes it very easy to control the application so you don't apply enough to let it run. I just keep applying light coats until I get the color I want.