PDA

View Full Version : Advice for disposing of a '76 cman RAS

Mitchell Garnett
05-09-2005, 8:43 PM
I've got a 1976 Sears RAS mounted on a large shop-built, wheeled stand. I don't use it much any more for it's intended purpose and I'd like to reclaim the space it occupies. While the saw is in good condition and has a relatively new motor, I doubt it would garner much attention if I try to sell it. I've wondered about donating it to charity but I'm not sure where to start. Any ideas?

('course we could also have fun with this topic but I'd like to do more than trash the machine)

Ed Blough
05-09-2005, 9:02 PM
I've got a 1976 Sears RAS mounted on a large shop-built, wheeled stand. I don't use it much any more for it's intended purpose and I'd like to reclaim the space it occupies. While the saw is in good condition and has a relatively new motor, I doubt it would garner much attention if I try to sell it. I've wondered about donating it to charity but I'm not sure where to start. Any ideas?

('course we could also have fun with this topic but I'd like to do more than trash the machine)

There is a recall on Sears RAS. I think yours like mine falls into the class where you take off the motor assembly and send it to them and they pay you $100.
In other models they send an upgrade but mine is about the same age as yours and I think all they due is pay you $100 not to use the saw due to the safety defect. Sending the motor back pretty much assures that.

check out the recall at http://www.radialarmsawrecall.com/index2.htm

Hope this helps you get rid of it.

Kelly C. Hanna
05-09-2005, 11:39 PM
Ebay hands down, I sold mine for $310 and $200 respectively and neither one was perfect by any means.

Scott Loven
05-10-2005, 7:23 AM
You could contact your local Habitat for Humanity, they may be interested.
Scott

Frank Pellow
05-10-2005, 12:52 PM
I donated a lot of my old tools to Habitat for Humanity last year. And, at the end of the year, I received an unexpected bonus -a charitable donation statement that I was able to apply to my income tax this year.

Mitchell Garnett
05-10-2005, 1:47 PM
I called Humanity locally and also a couple of other places but no one seemed interested. I think maybe a RAS is not portable enough?

I checked the latest listings on Ebay - too many on sale with no bids. So I ended up going for the Emerson "rebate" to junk the saw. If I'd realized they take care of the shipping and provide the box, I probably would have done this awhile ago.

The $100 goes into the fund to buy a Bosch 10" SCMS which will eventually replace a Hitachi 10" CMS.

Happy woodworking everyone.

Mitchell

Mike Stanton
05-10-2005, 6:13 PM
Where do you live I live in Oregon . I might be interest in it Mike :D

Mitchell Garnett
05-10-2005, 6:47 PM
I'm actually in Seattle. If you are interested, send me a pm - maybe we could meet halfway.