PDA

View Full Version : Joined the Mustard Club

Paul Ray Moore
03-24-2013, 7:42 PM
I've been turning around 4 years using a Jet 1442. I've been happy with it but I've wanted to buy a Powermatic 3520b. I just couldn't justify spending that amount of money on a lathe. I just turn for a hobby and have never sold anything so the Jet has been enough. A member of our club bought this off craigslist and he didn't need it because he already had one. So he sold it to me along with the bed extension (which I haven't put on), the dust hood you see, 3 chucks, cole jaws, 4 face plates and an indexing wheel. I got it home Friday night and put it together with my 15 year old son. I was amazed at the weight difference from the 1442. It was all we could do to get the legs assembled. I was pretty sore on Saturday morning. I put some quickcrete on the shelf although I'm not sure I'll need it. Even though it isn't new and is a little stained, I've still got a grin from ear to ear.

charlie knighton
03-24-2013, 8:31 PM
congratulations, you will probably not look back, enjoy

Doug W Swanson
03-24-2013, 8:32 PM
Definitely a great gloat!

mark ravensdale
03-24-2013, 8:33 PM
Paul, I just got my 3520b on Tuesday, and had no one to help so had to carry it and assemble it myself, carrying the bed nearly killed me but somehow I managed it, haven't had time to do any serious turning but from the little I have done I noticed how steady and vibration free it was, I have made a shelf for mine and added some more weight (not that it really needed it, but hey a lathe can never be too heavy right?) it now weights just over 1200lbs all in, and I can't wait to get a nice big piece of wet wood on it ;-)
anyhow, welcome to the wonderful world of 3520 and long may you turn !!!

Thomas Canfield
03-24-2013, 11:06 PM
Looks like it has turned some green sappy wood in its days, at least that is what did the change in color to mine. Enjoy it.

David DeCristoforo
03-25-2013, 1:06 AM
Nice. I think I've still got some red paint I could send you...

Faust M. Ruggiero
03-25-2013, 7:33 AM
Stains, I don't see any stains. I may see a bit of "atmosphere and character" but no stains. You're gonna love it. And don't listen to that guy with the red paint. In most other things he has really good taste but his lathe color sense is a bit askew. He never had the firetruck he wanted as a kid. :)>
faust

bob svoboda
03-25-2013, 11:23 AM
Welcome to the Mustard Club. You will love that machine. BTW, if you do large out-of-round blanks, you will be glad for the quickcrete.

Steve Schlumpf
03-25-2013, 12:20 PM
Congrats on your new lathe! Looks like quite the step up! Have fun!!

Chip Sutherland
03-25-2013, 5:06 PM
Congrats on the 3520b. I too migrated from a 1442 to Mustard 3 yrs ago. I just sold my 1442 two weeks ago. It was hard to let her go and keep the Jet Mini. I needed the floorspace and didn't really use it that much anymore. I hope you budgeted for all the 1x8 to 1.25x8 changes. I failed to account for them so my homemade donut chuck and steady rest were unusable. I had to upgrade my Monster hollowing rig base; I had to go buy new inserts for my Nova chucks. I got my PM on a 20% off deal so the extra savings sort of disappeared as I bought & upgraded all the other trappings of this vortex. ABSOLUTELY...no regrets.

Jeez...how many postings have we had in the last 2 weeks about folks upgrading to PMs ? Lots of lucky guys.

Thomas Canfield
03-25-2013, 9:21 PM
Paul,

You can buy a 1.25x8 to 1"x8 adapter to use some of your existing 1x8 mounts. PSI has one for $19.95 that has worked well for me,though some have had alignment problems. I have also found that a 1.25x8 extension has been handy at times also.

Jerry Chandler
03-26-2013, 3:33 PM
Paul,
I got my 3520B back in December, 2012. It replaces my Jet 1236 which was a big upgrade step. One thing I really like is the movable headstock. I turn a lot of boxes, ornaments and small items. By moving the headstock down the bed about a foot I don't have to worry about having to step around the leg all the time. Hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine.

Doug Ladendorf
03-27-2013, 3:55 PM
Color me green with envy! You are living my dream Paul. I'm on a similarly sized Delta 1440 and hope to upgrade to a 3520 some day. Nice score!

Ken Hensley
03-27-2013, 4:05 PM
Congratulations, I have been wanting to get one myself for a few years but havent found one I can afford yet. One day I will join the Mustard Club, again congrats.

Ken:D