PDA

View Full Version : Blackhawk jig or Wolverine?

Kim Gibbens
03-24-2013, 6:08 PM
First post in turners forum, been lurking here quite a while. I got a new mustard monster a week or so ago and I haven't turned since junior high ( 40+ years ago). I recently retired and am in the process of turning our 2 car garage into my shop and plan on doing some turning. I am now in the process of getting things I need to accompany my lathe. I have read many threads about the Wolverine but I haven't seen any on the blackhawk system sold by Capt'n Eddie. Does anyone use this? Anyone used them both and can comment?
The wolverine looks nice and everyone seems real happy with them, but for basically the same thing the blackhawk is much more economical. I was sold on the wolverine but I am beginning to question that over the blackhawk. Am I over thinking this?

Thanks for all comments

Kim

charlie knighton
03-24-2013, 8:46 PM
congratulations on your lathe and setup, we like pictures when you get things settled in,
i use the wolverine, and am not familiar with the blackhawk
on the wolverine i replaced the tool rest for scrapers with a smaller size , which they came out with as a aftermarket addon
is Capt Eddie from hawaii?
Robo Hippy also has recently come out with a sharpen setup
enjoy...and be safe

Glen Blanchard
03-24-2013, 9:05 PM
I'm not familiar with the Blackhawk but the Wolverine is kind of the standard. It is by far the most widely used (I have no facts with which to back that up however) sharpening jig for turners. Thus, sharpening accessories are much more likely to exist for the Wolverine than for the Blackhawk. Reed's fantastic jig is a prime example.

Bernie Weishapl
03-24-2013, 10:42 PM
I have the wolverine and have seen the black hawk. A friend of mine bought one. I didn't care for it at all. Another vote for Reed Grays platform add on. Just makes things so simple.

Frank Booth
03-25-2013, 12:25 AM
I have the wolverine and Reed Grays add on for the oneway (wolverine) is awesome. Great add-on.

bob svoboda
03-25-2013, 11:24 AM
I wouldn't trade my Wolverine. Am seriously considering Reed's add-on.

Kim Gibbens
03-25-2013, 11:29 AM
Thanks for the replies, I guess I'll go with the Wolverine.
Since I plan on turning bowls, my reading seems to indicate a preference of bowl turners for the first version of the vari grind. Is that what I should get opposed to the vari grind 2?

Thanks for all your answers.

Kim

Paul Singer
03-25-2013, 2:11 PM
The original Vari-Grind I think is easier to use and set up for different gouges. I have the vari-grind 2 and have not used it since I got the vari-grind 1. The only advantage to the vari-grind 2 was to make it safer because it limits the side to side motion so you can't slip off the side of the wheel. That very feature limits you at times when doing a large swept back grind.