PDA

View Full Version : Another nice gloat for me!!!

Michael Dunn
03-24-2013, 6:07 PM
Hey guys!!!

I just picked up a nice used Delta 50-850 1.5HP DC on CL. He was asking $250. I talked him down to $160 and an extra $20 for 2 10"x4" pieces of DC hose. It looks to be pretty HQ. I also bought a nice small/mid sized cyclone from a guy on eBay $199.99+$44 S/H minus some strange coupon amount. Totalling $222.?? He makes them custom out of his garage. I'm hoping to eventually get this into my attic as long as there is a sensible way to empty it.

I tested it out by face jointing a 2x4 on my 8" Bridgewood. Aside from the small amount that pretty much always escapes from the top, it collected virtually everything. Then I removed the hose to inspect the jointers dust chute. It was spotless. I was quite happy.

I can't wait to see how it collects from all four modes of my W-718. It's setup for drum sanding now. I'm waiting for new SP rolls to come in from Grizzly.

I'm going to start cranking out some small projects.

Joseph Tarantino
03-24-2013, 10:14 PM
just to pass along some information, the canister filter form jet will fit that unit perfectly. i got a 50-850 with a jet canister for $150 and the combo works well. i'm no fan of jet, but the filter fits the drum ring well. when you want to improve the unit, consider an internal baffle which helps keep the filter cleaner longer. the april issue of FWW reviews some modifications that will help the performance of DCs like the 50-850.

Stephen Cherry
03-24-2013, 11:34 PM
woo hoo!!!!

Harold Burrell
03-25-2013, 9:39 AM
Wow! A nice DC like that will really suck...as do you.

;)

Michael Dunn
03-29-2013, 8:36 PM
I added a cyclone to it as well. I bought from Gary on eBay. With some eBay coupon it was $222 shipped. Haven't had a chance to hook it all up yet though.

Michael Dunn
03-29-2013, 8:38 PM
I added a cyclone to it as well. I bought from Gary on eBay. With some eBay coupon it was $222 shipped. Haven't had a chance to hook it all up yet though.

It seems to work pretty well with my 8" Bridgewood jointer and my WM-718. I'm working on a under blade dust collection shroud for my Delta 34-444 now.

Hopefully Monday I can start some actual projects.

Stephen Cherry
03-29-2013, 8:43 PM
Sounds great!

Greg Wittler
03-29-2013, 8:57 PM
Hey guys!!!

I also bought a nice small/mid sized cyclone from a guy on eBay $199.99+$44 S/H

I have been debating buying that unit or the metal Super Dust Deputy. I picked up a Woodtek D/C for under $100 but it has no bags so i was gonna add one of the available cyclones, cut a 55 gallon drum down by 12" and get a penn state canister filter and hopefully keping the same footprint. Looks like mine is the same style setup as yours, so if I get a wild hair up my nose, I will post pics. I was going to use strut channel for the frame but there are so many free bed frames on craigs list I might try to make a frame with re-purposed angle iron metal bed frames

Michael Dunn
03-29-2013, 9:12 PM
Here is a pic...

Michael Mayo
03-30-2013, 12:56 AM
Was the Ebay seller eastcaroga (http://myworld.ebay.com/eastcaroga?_trksid=p2047675.l2559)? I need to get a DC setup going and was thinking about doing the HF DC with one of these cyclone seperators in a tower type configration and then running a
pleated filter off of the fan output.

Michael Dunn
03-30-2013, 9:18 AM
Was the Ebay seller eastcaroga (http://myworld.ebay.com/eastcaroga?_trksid=p2047675.l2559)? I need to get a DC setup going and was thinking about doing the HF DC with one of these cyclone seperators in a tower type configration and then running a
pleated filter off of the fan output.

Yes. I'll post a review once I get it all setup. I may try to do that today. I'll have the day to myself in my shop. Wife and kids are off to grandma's house!!! Woo hoo!!! I love 'em dearly, but I 'need' this time.

David Peterson
03-30-2013, 2:36 PM
Good deal! You're going to really like the cyclone from Don McIntyre, as well. They are solid units, fabricated by hand from heavy galvanized steel in upstate NY. I built a tower with one of them using a 1.5 HP Penn Industries motor. I also took Don's tip and built an external filter from automobile air filters (that cost all of 30 bucks to put together). His cyclone is so efficient there is very little discharge that even goes into the filter. Suck-cess!