PDA

View Full Version : Weekend doin's

Bob Lasley
05-09-2003, 9:10 AM
Greetings all,

Well, here it is Friday again and so far we've dodged all the twisters and storms. I completed the finishing job I was doing for a neighbor and picked up lumber for the crib which I should finally get started on tomorrow. Oldest daughter came in last night from Oklahoma's largest and southernmost county, Texas, and will be spending the weekend with us.

What's going on in your shop this weekend?

Don't forget Mother's Day unless one of your weekend projects is building a bigger doghouse! ;)

Have a great weekend all,
Bob

Steve Clardy
05-09-2003, 12:31 PM
so here it is. Main project is fixing the trusses in my 40x64 shop. Some idiot that built the building had no clue to truss design. Have a good friend coming to help rebuild them in place.
Maybe after that I can finish insulating the roof to cut down on the firewood use.
Figured if I left it uninsulated I could melt off the snow before it collapses on me. Sagging pretty bad.
Steve

Dave Anderson
05-09-2003, 1:20 PM
Saturday my older daughter is graduating from her latest stint in college. This will be her third and last degree before entering the real world.

At 24 years of age, she realizes that it's time to stop going to school and start using her skills. She will now have degrees in Pack Station and Stable Operations and this new degree in Exotic Animal Training and Management. Needless to say, she is an animal lover and hopes to land a job at the Los Angeles Zoo as a Zookeeper. She is also a licensed EMT. I'm a proud Poppa!

Sunday, Mother's Day - 'nuf said.:cool:

PeterTorresani
05-09-2003, 1:51 PM
My plan was to put in a retaining wall, but the weather is going to be perfect for this job. By perfect I mean too wet to do it, so I can spend the time getting the garage in shape for some real WWing.

I've got some shelving to install, wall cabinets to build, and two mobile carts to make space more versatile. It should be a pretty busy weekend.

Oh ya, Buy LOML some flowers, cook breakfast, send her out to do some shopping

Dave Anderson NH
05-09-2003, 2:17 PM
In about half an hour I have to leave to help setup for the 4th New England Woodturning Symposium at Pinkerton Academy in Derry, NH. After setup and lifting and moving, we have a reception at the gallery in the Derry Opera House for David Ellsworth who's slide presentation and lecture I will be attending tonite. The gallery in the opera house is featuring a one month display of about 125 pieces by NH woodturners.

Tomorrow I'll be watching demos by a bunch of great turners like Ellsworth, Al Stirt, Linda Van Gehutchen, Luke Mann, Bob Rosand, Jacques Vessery, and a bunch of others. There is also a trade show with wood suppliers, Oneway, Woodcraft, and a bunch of other turning gear suppliers. It should be a great day.

Sunday it's up to Sue, if the weather is good and she wants to golf, I get to turn in the morning before my son, his wife and the grandchildren come over.

I see this as a can't lose weekend no matter what the weather.

Sam Chambers
05-09-2003, 2:36 PM
Heading to Bowling Green, KY to visit SWMBO's parents for Mother's Day. Her Dad had a stroke a few months ago, and has Parkinson's Disease as well, so we try to get there as often as possible. He is a retired Baptist preacher, and was a pretty active handyman-type of husband before the illnesses sapped his strength.

SWMBO wants me to go through his tools and help them get rid of the power tools with sharp spinning blades, grinding wheels, etc., so he doesn't get himself into trouble in the garage. He has an old Sears table saw (might be one of the good ones) and a bench grinder that they specifically mentioned. Don't know what else might be there. So, I may end up with a very, very reluctant tool acquisition "gloat".

Doug Littlejohn
05-09-2003, 3:58 PM
well, , , let's see. I need to finish up my custom designed/built spit BBQ for a whole pig roast we're doing end of the month. THen have to do a bunch of cleanup for the same. Then I have to get the pool pump system working again so it will also be ready for the big bash at the end of the month also.

Whew!!! :eek: , I'm tired already and haven't even started yet. After all of this, I need to continue working on putting up a new building so I can have my own shop (stealth gloat but still a ways off). :(

Hope the others are having more fun than I.

Phil Phelps
05-09-2003, 5:39 PM
Originally posted by Dave Anderson
Saturday my older daughter is graduating from her latest stint in college. This will be her third and last degree before entering the real world.

At 24 years of age, she realizes that it's time to stop going to school and start using her skills. She will now have degrees in Pack Station and Stable Operations and this new degree in Exotic Animal Training and Management. Needless to say, she is an animal lover and hopes to land a job at the Los Angeles Zoo as a Zookeeper. She is also a licensed EMT. I'm a proud Poppa!

Sunday, Mother's Day - 'nuf said.:cool:
I was hopin' my boys would grow up to weigh 90 lbs. and love horses. :p
Congratulations.

Phil Phelps
05-09-2003, 5:43 PM
I'm goin' to plant 300 caladium bulbs between golf outings. :D I'm goin' to play golf between planting 300 caladium bulbs. :D I'm probably goin' to watch the last part of a golf tournament after planting 300 caladiums:(

Anthony Yakonick
05-09-2003, 5:51 PM
Hi folks, I fired up my lathe today for the first time since shoulder surgery 2 1/2 weeks ago. I turned 5 oil lamps today and if all goes well I'll turn a few more and some spin tops over the weekend and see how I feel, then on to some larger things. Once again, nice place you have here.

Anthony

Dave Anderson
05-09-2003, 5:54 PM
Originally posted by Phil Phelps
I'm goin' to plant 300 caladium bulbs between golf outings. :D I'm goin' to play golf between planting 300 caladium bulbs. :D I'm probably goin' to watch the last part of a golf tournament after planting 300 caladiums:(

OK, that's a total of <b>900</b> bulbs, 2 rounds of golf + watching another 18 holes on TV!

I know things are <b>BIG</b> in Texas but there are still only 24 hours in a day - even in Dallas! :cool:

Do I need to send Dave Arbuckle down the road to keep and eye on you Phil? :p

Jim Becker
05-09-2003, 6:10 PM
"Kitchen Cabinet Mania" in the shop here this weekend. Some more carcass construction and a whole bunch of milling for the poplar face frames, etc.

I'll undoubtedly need to behead a few dandelions, too...rain sure does make that lawn grow!

Jeff Cybulski
05-09-2003, 6:21 PM
Hi all - No shop time this weekend. Need to start tearing apart the master bath for a re-do. Gonna be fun!!!

Have a safe weekend.

Jeff

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
05-09-2003, 6:30 PM
After at least three weeks I am still trying to get the new Sound Blaster 16 PCI to load on my computer. Windows just won't recognize it or load the drivers. In fact now it doesn't even see it as new hardware. With the Creative on line help I get about one message a day if I am lucky. Geeeeesh This is a maddening way to spend a good week end.

keith zimmerman
05-09-2003, 6:33 PM
I have nothing specifically planned for this weekend except to finalize my buying list for the interior walls of my shop. After much deliberation and consideration, I have decided to use 1/2" plywood. I've been trying to determine how much to buy so I can order and have it delivered in a couple of weeks when I am taking a week off to get some major work done around here.

All plans may be off as we have more, possibly severe Spring storms forcasted for Saturday, so the day may be survival mode. (I love Spring in Central Illinois).

Sunday is Mother's day, so who knows what will happen.

keithz

Dennis Peacock
05-09-2003, 7:25 PM
Well.....trying to recover from all the severe storms and tornados that came close by and enough rain water to last me the rest of the year..!!!!!

No real shop time this weekend.....pulled a muscle in my back LAST weekend while working on BOTH toilets and the back is just now getting to where it doesn't hurt me ALL THE TIME..!!!

Now that it is getting hot and HUMID here.....I will be closing up the shop around the middle of June and will not be opening the shop back up for woodoworking until the middle of September. I have tried working in the shop during the summer...but shop temps are almost always over 100° and the humidity stays between 89 and 100%.......I have tried working in the shop at NIGHT...but the bugs are so bad that you can't move in the shop without walking into a flying bug, wipping bugs off the machine before you use it and the mosquitos are some real prize Biters!

Anybody got an A/C unit for me to install so I can cool the shop? :-)

Have a Great Weekend.....

Dave Anderson
05-09-2003, 7:38 PM
Originally posted by Dennis Peacock
Anybody got an A/C unit for me to install so I can cool the shop? :-)

Hey Dennis,
Why don't you come on out to my place? I'll open the shop doors and let the ocean breeze flow through and cool you off. Might even treat you to an earthquake or two to take your mind off those Tornados. :cool:

John Miliunas
05-10-2003, 9:04 AM
More outside work, weather allowing. Also found that my 1-year old battery on the Deere is already pooched!:mad: Gonna' have to switch to a regular JD battery, I think, as the "other" brand isn't doing the trick. Hope to get a couple small items turned, so kinda' hoping for more rain.:D The Sunday, of course, it's Moma's turn, so R&R for her and my turn to cook and the such. Have a great weekend, everyone! :cool: