PDA

View Full Version : Laminate Trimmers... Do You Use One?

Corey Hallagan
05-09-2005, 8:07 PM
Curious here, been thinking about picking up a laminate trimmer, not just for laminates but for lighweight routering, round overs etc. Do you guys find them useful, use them often? Any recommendations? Been looking at the PC 7310 and Dewalt 670. Of course reviews on Amazon don't mean much but both of these are about half thumbs down and half thumbs up. Or should I just use one of my other routers?
Thanks for the info,
Corey

Hoa Dinh
05-09-2005, 8:15 PM
I have a PC7310 kit with 4 bases. Most of the time I use the motor in the simple base.

Unless you do a lot of laminte routing, a trimmer is a nice-to-have, not a must-have. Besides a PC7310, I have an M12V in the router table, a PC7529 for plunge jobs, a PC690 for fix based jobs. If I can do without one, it'll be the trimmer. The PC690 handles 90% of the routing.

I don't particularly like the PC7310 design. The motor is attached to the base with one screw. This doesn't guarantee the motor to be perpendicular to the base. Also, bit visilility (or lack thereof) is terrible. The up/down adjustment has bad backlash. It's a pain when you try to "micro-adjust" when it becomes a trial-an-error operation.

I don't know much about the DW you mentioned.

If I were buying one now, it'd be the PC310. The only problem is that it's costly. My next choice would be the new Ridgid.

Russ Massery
05-09-2005, 8:18 PM
I have the PC7310 I use it all the time for light duty routing as well as laminate trimming. up to a 1/4" roundover. In fact for small stuff like that I don't use a router much at all.

George Summers
05-09-2005, 9:27 PM
I too have several routers, an M12V in the table, a Makita plunge/fixed base package, a Dewalt 621 and an old Craftsman. I also thought that I would find a laminate trimmer usefull and I do. I don't use mine for anything except small roundovers and laminate trimming (don't do a whole lot of laminate). I found that the Harbor Freight has lasted me for the small amount I use it and it was only like $13 on sale. The only problem I had with it was that I had to flatten the base as it had a small crown when I got it. If you are not going to use it daily, you might want to consider the HF.

George

Jay Knepper
05-09-2005, 9:33 PM
I have, and use, the little PC trimmer. The're great for roundovers, and roughing out for hinge mortices and inlays. I'm not happy with the visibility with this model. They really need a clear base, especially for the mortice/inlay work. Which reminds me, I need to make one...

Mike Deschler
05-09-2005, 9:42 PM
I have the DW 670 and use it quite a bit for round overs. It is fast, easy to set up and doesn't feel heavy when using it. I am sure either of the two you mentioned would work fine. The only down side is having to buy 1/2" bits when all your others are 1/2"

Mike

Doug Shepard
05-09-2005, 9:44 PM
I use mine a lot for doing inlay channels. Size wise it's a lot easier to control and doesn't have the tippiness a router would have on narrower pieces. I've got the DeWalt kit with the various bases. The offset base came in real handy once on a project where a normal router just wouldn't fit. I've also used it for the occasional small roundover and surprisingly - it's even gotten used to trim laminate a couple of times.

Keith Outten
05-09-2005, 10:24 PM
Corey,

I own a very old Black and Decker trim router and it has been through many wars. I prefer the trim router over any other in my shop, I wish it was capable of heavier work. I guess it's the light weight I prefer, it can easilly be one-handed. I tried the cheap HF trim router but the one I received whines terribly, I think it has a balance problem so isn't worth using. When my B&D goes it will be replaced immediately.

Phil,

The sign is just awesome, I would love to get all of the details. Please start another Thread and fill us in, we don't want to steal Coreys thread.

Tom Peterson
05-09-2005, 10:27 PM
I bought mine laminate router to get into a tight spot that I needed to route. quite handy and would strongly recommend adding to the arsenal

Dave Falkenstein
05-09-2005, 10:45 PM
The PC 310 is a great tool, perhaps the best laminate trim router available, IMHO. I also have a PC 7310. The 310 is a much better tool - easier to operate, better visibility and much, much easier to adjust accurately.

Bob Noles
05-09-2005, 11:01 PM
Corey,

I have the PC7310 which I "won" at actution for $30 less than retail. I picked up the round and offset sub-bases from Pat Warner and I just love the little router. It is light weight and handy for so many of the smaller jobs. It came highly recommended by the "experts" of routing. The only one that is possibly better, but more expensive would be the PC310, again, according to the "experts. I have a lot of "yellow" in my shop, but broke my stride and took this one.

Dave Wright #2
05-09-2005, 11:05 PM
Just yesterday I was using my PC310 to round over the inside edges of a box. It's really just a nice small router. Compared to typical trimmers the 310 is more stable, easier to fine tune the cut depth, and better made. Yes, I trim laminate with it, but it is also the first router I reach for when spinning small diameter 1/4" shank bits. The 310's base takes the standard PC collar assembly. It has two disadvantages though. It's only 4 amps, so heavy cuts aren't practical. It also spins quite quickly, which can lead to burning problems in some woods.

Corey Hallagan
05-09-2005, 11:10 PM
Thanks guys for the info. I guess I will pick one these up. Thanks again! Phil, that is some sign!! Nice work, I take it you do this for a living, I like to make small signs :)

Corey

Howard Rosenberg
05-10-2005, 12:35 AM
As others have pointed out - it's a nice-to-have - not a must have.

Having said that, I use mine dozens of times a week.

Mine's the Makita laminate trimmer with the transparent base that guarantees excellent visibility.

I use it for the fine work in keeping track of pencil lines in templates, edge treatments and mortising hinges.

HTH
Howard

Mark Singer
05-10-2005, 12:43 AM
I have the Bosch with 3 bases....I use it all the time...Very handy

Peter Engelmann
05-10-2005, 7:45 AM
I have to admit I have a weakness for routers...Four Dewalts, two Porter-Cable, a couple of old Craftman and two Dremels. None of them work as well as the $99.00 (or less?) Ridgid I picked up a few weeks ago. It has good balance, ample power and a decent sight line. The height adjustment could be improved.

I often reach for it when I need to some roundovers when the project is too awkward for the router table.

Pete

Frank Martin
05-10-2005, 10:42 AM
I too tried quite a few laminate trimmers including the PC 310. They all had shortcomings. I saw in the May issue of American Woodworker the new Bosch line of laminate trimmers. They seem to have addressed at least most of the issues. Variable speed, better height adjustment, better ergonomics....

Here us a preview:

http://www.woodworkersjournal.com/ezine/archive/119/toolpreview.cfm

The manual is also posted somewhere on the Internet. You can search and take a look at the specs.

No, I don't work for or affiliated in any way with Bosch. Just someone frustrated with existing laminate trimmer offerings.

Ellen Benkin
05-10-2005, 11:58 AM
I have the PC 310. I've never trimmed any laminate, but it's great for small jobs like roundovers and mouting hinges. I appreciate not having to wrestle a full size router for jobs like that.

George Summers
05-10-2005, 1:11 PM
I just came home for lunch and sitting in the mailbox was a flyer from Rockler. Freud FT1000EK laminate trimmer with fixed and plunge and variable angle bases, variable speed (20,000 - 30,000). $89.99

George

Al Lupone
05-10-2005, 4:30 PM
This is a brief review I gave on another forum of my impression of the Freud.

"Tripod, have you had a chance to try it out yet? What are your impressions. I bought one last week. Finally had a chance yesterday to take it out of the box. First, Rockler had told me that there was an excess of powder coat & that the edge guide wouldn't fit without some filing. They were right. I took a fine file to the edges of the recess for the center slide. All set now. Absolutely no indication on the instruction sheet for how to use up the package of screws. Knpbs were no problem, the screw for the dust shield, chec. Gee, what are these lock washers for? Then I tried to take off the plunge base. No instructions, but figured that's what the allen wrench was for. Couldn't budge the base, so loosened some more. OOPS, there goes the roller on the floor. After I found it, had to use a screw driver with some serious prying to get the base off. Whew, that's done. Put on the small laminate base with a small roundover bit. Wow, this sucker is top heavy. Found if I guided with my left hand & held on to the height lock bolt with my right hand, I could sorta get a good edge. Next up is the angle base. Huh, what's this? The casing is very porous. When they milled out for the router barrel to fit in, many voids were revealed in the casting. Let's see about height adjustment. Oh, wait a sec, I need a small screwdriver to adjust height. There is a small plastic gear to operate a crude rack for the adj. Need the screwdriver to operate the gear while jiggling the router as it doesn't operate real smoothly. Gee, how long is this thing going to last?
Put everything back to original shipping condition so I can return it. Guess I can live with the crappy height adjustment on my PC 7310 after all."

Al

Steve Cox
05-10-2005, 4:34 PM
I've used most of the ones on the market today and wound up buying a Ridgid. Price was good, height adjustment excellent (especially compared to the PC), and it fits my hands pretty well. I use it mostly for edge trimming and roundovers. Pretty handy.

Hoa Dinh
05-10-2005, 7:45 PM
I just came home for lunch and sitting in the mailbox was a flyer from Rockler. Freud FT1000EK laminate trimmer with fixed and plunge and variable angle bases, variable speed (20,000 - 30,000). $89.99

George
Beware. If you buy it and if it is anything like the one I bought a few years ago (and returned it the next day), you'll lose $89.99.

This is a case in which you get what you pay for, actually a bit less.

Kyle Stiefel
05-10-2005, 8:08 PM
I have the Porter-Cable 310 and am quite pleased with it. It doesn't come as a kit like with some of the other systems but it is easy to reproduce a desired depth of the bit. Having said that this is the only laminate trimmer I have ever owned.