PDA

View Full Version : Mortising Machines and Chisel Sets

Glen Blanchard
05-09-2005, 7:56 PM
Well, Mother's day has past and my wife had picked out a very nice ring at a local jewelry store (75% off) so we went there yesterday and made the purchase. In anticipation of her asking me what I would like for Father's Day, I am doing my due diligence. I figured I might ask for a dovetail jig or a mortising machine.

When I bought my Jet drill press a few years ago, it came with a mortising attachment and a set of chisels (5, I think). I have never used any of this stuff and it all remains in unopened packages. I am not sure what mortising machine might be my preference, but think I might be leaning towards the Shop Fox. Will my Jet chisels fit any mortiser or are they brand specific? Also, how good are these Jet chisels? Should I just get some high quality chisels when I buy the machine or will the Jet do a nice job? If I should buy new chisels, what brand(s) should I be considering?

Kirk (KC) Constable
05-10-2005, 6:56 AM
I've been using JET chisels for several years. Never honed them, either...out of the box and onto the mortiser. They could probably be sharper, but they work plenty fine...and for what they do (make a hole), I can't see spending the extra money for a fancy brand.

KC

Mike Tempel
05-10-2005, 7:16 AM
I have had the Delta drill press mortising attachment for my Delta drill press for years. I have used both Jet and Delta chisels on it and it worked well. Just yesterday I took delivery of a new Delta Mortiser from Amazon ($200 delivered):D :D . It came with 4 chisels and I already have one Delta and a set of five Jet chisels so now I have an even 10 chisels although most are duplicates. I have no plans to purchase anymore as I have never had any problems with the Delta or the Jet's that I have used for about 4 or 5 years. Although I have not had the chance to use the new Delta mortiser yet I have heard rave reviews about it and it is a well built, heavy machine. I will post pics of it to make it official but that won't be for a while as my shop has been invaded by the contents of my storage shed :mad: :mad: which must be removed for the installation of a pool:rolleyes: :rolleyes: . If you are looking for a mortiser I would suggest that you look into the Delta as it has really impressed myself and others here. For $200 delivered (on sale for $225 and take $25 off for anything spent over $199 and free shipping) it is a great deal. I have heard the complaints of damage to packages shipped from Amazon by UPS but personally have not had any problems - this one was delivered by FedEx and had only one scratch on the box.

At any rate, hope that you get your wish for Father's Day and hope that your wife is pleased with her new acquisition as well. By the way, I just broke the news to my wife about the mortiser (since it was delivered I had no choice) but I won't be showing her this thread - I think a diamond might just be to her liking!!!!

Mike

craig carlson
05-10-2005, 11:56 AM
You might find that the drill press chisel drills have a longer shank than the the chisel sets made for a dedicated mortiser.
Craig

chris toomey
05-10-2005, 1:02 PM
i have the shop fox mortiser....also have a delta drill press and mortising attachment....the shop fox is a nice machine. the delta mortise chisels and bits did not fit( the bits weren't long enough), so i had to purchase additional chisels

Dale Rodabaugh
05-10-2005, 6:21 PM
I bought the General mortising machine.I like it.