PDA

View Full Version : Moving .... How to store Powermatic/Router cast iron table for a few years.

Rich Johnson
03-23-2013, 10:35 PM
Ok, I am getting relocated with work overseas for a three year run and I want to put my shop in long term storage as opposed to sell everything and repurchase when I return. The question I pose is what is the best way to store long term cast iron tops. My powermatic and router are both shinning cast iron. Any suggestions on what to put on it to keep the rust off for that kind of time?

David Weaver
03-23-2013, 10:40 PM
cosmoline. Either that or spray it with shellac and just get the shellac off with alcohol when you get back.

I'd do cosmoline, though.

Tai Fu
03-24-2013, 2:20 AM
On another note, how much would it cost to ship a shop full of machines overseas? I heard freight is more about volume than weight so surely they will all fit within a container, and some overseas job pays for relocation anyways...

As for 110/220 thing most serious machines are 220, or can be wired into 220. The only real difference is the line frequency meaning your motor would spin a little slower.. The only thing you'd have to replace are portable power tools.

Bill White
03-24-2013, 11:26 AM
Cosmoline here too.
Some of that stuff is as old as the pyramids.
Bill

peter gagliardi
03-24-2013, 11:57 AM
Well, I have about 20 tons of old machinery, and I haven't found any cosmolene in a small bulk quantity that was affordable. So, just on a fluke I decided to just wipe the tops down with plain old vegetable oil- seems funny, but I saw it on a shelf and it seemed better than nothing. It seems to me to be as good as cosmolene, as it forms a gelled coating similar to when you season a cast iron pan, but no baking or heat necessary! Cheap, accessible, and easier to clean off than cosmolene, just wipe down with denatured alcohol, or lacquer thinner- cuts right thru. In about 10 minutes you can be back to using the machine. It is quite impervious to almost anything but a steady drip it seems. I had to use this on a freshly machined shaper table that I couldn't finish the restore on due to work. It has been about 2-3 years, still looks brand new machined when I wipe it down.

David G Baker
03-24-2013, 12:15 PM
My guess is that a lot of paste wax would do the deed. I tried heavy grease once but it didn't work and created a big mess.

Brad Cambell
03-24-2013, 1:05 PM
The best way to prevent rust is continued use.

I would volunteer to put your tools to good use in my shop. :)

Jim Andrew
03-24-2013, 9:02 PM
I've never seen cosmoline on the shelf for sale, so would just use grease. And I'd be tempted to lay plain or waxed paper over the grease to help keep it from getting coated with dust. You could just spread the grease with a paint brush.

Mark Wooden
03-25-2013, 8:34 AM
Biggest thing would be to look for a storage that's DRY ! It may cost a bit more or be a drive to get to, but it will pay dividends in keeping your equipment in good condition.
A friend chose a place that was real nice in the middle of the summer. But it was near the shore and condensation from salt air pitted the hell out of his saw and jointer.