PDA

View Full Version : Help please, filling knot in HOT area

Harry Robinette
03-23-2013, 9:22 PM
We use a pizza stone when we have pizza so LOML wanted a Hickory platter made to set it on:rolleyes:. I got the platter made just needs finished.Now for help needed, theres a knot that came loose and fell out.:( What can I fill this with the stone goes onto this platter at 350*F so no epoxy or super glue. I'm stumped or maybe my brain stopped working ;)again cause that's been known to happen.
Just for info turning concrete err ah Kiln dried Hickory is really a _ _ _ _ _ .I made the cabinets and almost finished with the trim for the whole kitchen all of it Kiln dried Hickory ( I really hate this stuff,pretty yes, workability=concrete.)
Thanks for any help.

Leo Van Der Loo
03-23-2013, 9:36 PM
This might do it Harry,

http://www.alvinproducts.com/Products/Products.asp?id=2

Harry Robinette
03-23-2013, 10:42 PM
Thanks Leo mite try this,hope someone can find a product for wood.

Richard Coers
03-23-2013, 10:52 PM
No idea, but what kind of finish do you put on to take 350? Won't the wood discolor at 350?

Marvin Hasenak
03-23-2013, 11:25 PM
JB Weld is good to 300 degrees at constant contact, probably work under short term heat.

Thom Sturgill
03-24-2013, 8:18 AM
Silicone sealant

J.D.Redwine
03-24-2013, 11:28 AM
Why not just leave the hole?

Bob Bergstrom
03-24-2013, 12:07 PM
I would be careful of anything that does not say food safe. Read an article about a guy who repaired the inside of his dishwasher with silicone caulk. The whole family got silicone poisoning and ended up in the hospital. The silicone transferred to the dishes through the hot water.

Ryan Mooney
03-24-2013, 1:29 PM
I would be careful of anything that does not say food safe. Read an article about a guy who repaired the inside of his dishwasher with silicone caulk. The whole family got silicone poisoning and ended up in the hospital. The silicone transferred to the dishes through the hot water.

Ryan reads lots of internet articles on possibilities of silicone poisoning.... comes to a conclusion that:
I'd bet good money that if we could see the toxicology report that he used a caulk with mildewcides and that was what got them rather than the silicone (hyperbole in internet articles aside).

That Hi-Temp Lab Metal is cool looking stuff, thanks for the link Leo. The neat things you learn here.

Harry Robinette
03-24-2013, 7:41 PM
Thanks all
Now,I put a light oil on the platter, the stone is up about 1/8" off the platter it hits in 5 places and if it scorches we'll have to live with it. Right now we put the stone on a towel on the hardwood island and it's OK. The stone is in the oven for about 6 minutes at 350* so not sure if it has all that heat in it.
I thought about JB weld last night and it's something I have so I think I'm going to try it.
Again Thanks all I know this group can come up with the answer for most anything. Or maybe 7 or 8 answers it's just a great place to ask questions.

Terry Beadle
03-25-2013, 11:53 AM
I'd be tempted to just use a forsner bit and make a bigger hole of the knot. Then turn a plug on the late out of suitable wood. Glue it and flatten it with a hand plane or what ever.

No need to keep the knot, not that it's needed..hoot!