PDA

View Full Version : Identity Theft, Sorta Long

Jerry Bruette
03-23-2013, 2:45 PM
Got a call this morning from Bill Me Later Customer Security. They informed me that an account was opened last Dec. with my personal information. Some purchase attempts were made, one in Feb. of this year for $1744. They said they were calling because the purchases didn't look consistant with my buying habits and they blocked the purchases. I thanked them for blocking them.

I informed them I've never used their services and don't even have an account with them. They advised me to call Equifax. I checked my credit reports with TransUnion and Experian and they show no unusual activity. Equifax says they couldn't give me the credit report on line but would mail me a copy after I provide them with more information.( I suspect the security questions weren't answered the way they wanted).

Called the credit card company and they're not showing any unusual activity either.

How scared should I be? Never had this happen and I'm a little rattled by it.

Or is it possible I just got scammed?

Jerry

Stephen Tashiro
03-23-2013, 4:00 PM
How scared should I be? Never had this happen and I'm a little rattled by it.

It's not clear what happened to you. In the first place, was the call actually from "Bill Me Later"? In the second place, if it was from "Bill Me Later", how sleazy is "Bill Me Later" ? http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/mobile/54913672-68/bill-later-lawsuit-interest.html.csp

Dan Hintz
03-23-2013, 8:34 PM
Or is it possible I just got scammed?

I echo Stephen's thoughts...

Lee Schierer
03-23-2013, 8:46 PM
I think you are safe unless you've done recent business with ebay. The newspaper report seems to say it all.

I get a telephone call at least once per week from companies saying my credit card is at risk. Since I don't have cards with more than one company I simply report the number to the PA Attorney General as our number is on the do not call list and the PA Attorney General does prosecute companies that violate the do not call law.

Jerry Bruette
03-23-2013, 10:30 PM
I've never done business with BML and didn't know they were less than trustworthy. I don't understand what their gain is if they did in fact call me about an account that I don't have there.

I did do some buying on ebay earlier this month so ya I'm a little concerned.

Gary Hodgin
03-23-2013, 10:53 PM
I'd call Bill Me Later and ask about the call. I wouldn't provide any personal information other than my name. Ask how they knew about the unusual activity and tell them you're concerned that your bank is unaware of this activity. How did they know when you don't have an account with them? I googled and got a Bill Me Later website that had a contact number.

Dan Hintz
03-24-2013, 8:32 AM
I don't understand what their gain is if they did in fact call me about an account that I don't have there.

Other than your name (so they can look up the "account"), tell them nothing (don't even verify what info they already have). $10 says they'll want you to give them info like SS#, address, etc. Once they have that, you're on the hook for anything they wish to illegally do.

Todd Burch
03-24-2013, 8:59 AM
When I get calls like this, I run several litmus tests.

First, if I pick up and have to wait for the phone to connect to the caller, I hang up.
If it's a recording, I hang up.
If I can't understand the caller, I hang up.
If they don't allow me to have a conversation with them, as if they are reading a script, I hang up.
If they interrupt me, I hang up.

When a proper human does pass all these tests, I make them qualify EVERY point they make.

Case in point.

I got a call a month or so ago from a lady that said she was trying to get ahold of my sister. She said my sister signed a form, putting me down as an alternate contact, authorizing them to call me. She was talking very fast, and sounding very official, presenting herself as being from a law office. I made her stop and repeat herself. Twice. Then, while totally ignoring HER purpose for the call, I asked her to fax me a copy of the form my sister signed. She was dumbfounded, indicated that this was the first time she had ever been asked by anyone for a copy of the form and she could not believe my request. Needless to say, after the call, she never sent a fax. I told my sister, and she explained the long story, and several years ago a judge had dismissed a case against her, but that collection agencies were still (quite illegally) trying to collect.

Lots of vermin out there.

So, if people call, telling you they have observed strange spending patterns, and you've never done business with them, you have not only every right, but a responsibility to question them. I suspect the call itself was a scam.

Stephen Tashiro
03-24-2013, 12:44 PM
I've never done business with BML and didn't know they were less than trustworthy. I don't understand what their gain is if they did in fact call me about an account that I don't have there.

I did do some buying on ebay earlier this month so ya I'm a little concerned.

The call might not have been from "Bill Me Later". Think about this for a scam: You get a list of phone numbers. You call them and tell them you are from BML and that there have been suspicious charges on their account. Some people will tell you they don't have a BML account. You explain that someone appears to have started one in their name, you advise them to call credit agencies or credit card companies (any place except BML) and then you politely terminate the call. Some people you call will have a BML account. You read them a list of phony charges. Listen to them protest that they didn't make those charges and then you try to coax them into telling you enough information so you can access their BML account yourself. Perhaps you give them another phone number and tell them it isl the BML consumer fraud hotline and you have a co-conspirator who answers that number.

Andrew Joiner
03-24-2013, 3:15 PM
When I get calls like this, I run several litmus tests.

First, if I pick up and have to wait for the phone to connect to the caller, I hang up.
If it's a recording, I hang up.
If I can't understand the caller, I hang up.
If they don't allow me to have a conversation with them, as if they are reading a script, I hang up.
If they interrupt me, I hang up.

When a proper human does pass all these tests, I make them qualify EVERY point they make.

Case in point.

I got a call a month or so ago from a lady that said she was trying to get ahold of my sister. She said my sister signed a form, putting me down as an alternate contact, authorizing them to call me. She was talking very fast, and sounding very official, presenting herself as being from a law office. I made her stop and repeat herself. Twice. Then, while totally ignoring HER purpose for the call, I asked her to fax me a copy of the form my sister signed. She was dumbfounded, indicated that this was the first time she had ever been asked by anyone for a copy of the form and she could not believe my request. Needless to say, after the call, she never sent a fax. I told my sister, and she explained the long story, and several years ago a judge had dismissed a case against her, but that collection agencies were still (quite illegally) trying to collect.

Lots of vermin out there.

Good points Todd. Once you got a "proper human" getting a copy by fax is good.
When I get a proper human I ask " give me your name, ID# and company phone number. Then I verify online that that # is associated with that company. If so it's probably real. Then I call a different # at that company and say" I want to verify that xxx ID#x works there.