PDA

View Full Version : C & C on colors and form, Please

Brian Kent
03-23-2013, 2:11 PM
This is a bowl for my sister, who loves color and flamboyance. When the zebrawood bowl was done, I looked over at saw a piece of padauk that was the right size for a lid. I have done very few lids and only a couple of finials, so I have some questions.

First, is the contrast in color too much? Flamboyance is fine, but clashing is not.

Second, any recommendations on this finial (or to learn for the next one)?

The finial still has a tenon and this is an oil and wax finish, so I can modify it. Ironically, the color will probably work fine if I leave the padauk on a window sill for a few months, as the colors might be complementary when the orange changes to brown.

Dennis Ford
03-23-2013, 2:20 PM
Very nice workmanship on this. I like the round box form, the lid section seems a little heavy to me. I would let the padauk change color some before showing your sister; otherwise she may love the bright color and then be unhappy when the color changes.

David Reed
03-23-2013, 4:27 PM
The form is very nicely done but I think the flow is interrupted by the lid. I'm thinking that if the entire lower bead was not there, the flow would be improved and like Dennis indicated, lighten up the finial some.

charlie knighton
03-23-2013, 5:14 PM
i do not believe you will find a wood that goes with the zebrawood, its a nice form for the bowl, the finial shape is a begining, look for some of John Keeton's finial for an example, pretty bowl......it will be fun for you to look back on your sister's piece in maybe 2 years

http://www.johnkeeton.com/johnkeeton_005.htm
john's website