PDA

View Full Version : Buffing and Polishing

Bret Schaffner
03-23-2013, 11:27 AM
Need some feed back
I have just pick up a nice 1/2 hp 1750 RPM Motor and look getting buffing and polishing equipment

Is the Beall Kit with the 3 x 8" wheels worth it or for $70 or I was thinking about getting just the motor adapter, wax and was wheel for around $40, Or what about getting the 4" Beall Kit for $45

Right now I been use oils and old cotton rags while mounted on the lathe.

What other way are you using to do your buffing and polishing

Bernie Weishapl
03-23-2013, 12:05 PM
I had a motor like yours and bought the Beall kit. I love it. I even got the 3" bowl buff's. Only thing I don't use is the carnuba wax that came with it as it leaves finger prints and water spots. I use Ren wax with the wax wheel.

Josh Bowman
03-23-2013, 12:37 PM
Brent I love my beall. I use it all and the feel of the wood is like silk.

Fred Belknap
03-23-2013, 12:39 PM
Bret I have the Beal system, I use the lathe to buff with because I can control the speed, personally I think 1750rpm is a little fast especially for wax. Just my opinion but I did have it connected to a 1750 rpm motor but now use it on the lathe. I buff at about 800 rpm and about 600 for wax. Unlike Bernie I use the carnuba wax and haven't had a problem with fingerprints or water spots and some days my stuff gets a lot of handling. I mostly use the large buffing wheel, the smaller wheels work good for pens and small items. I don't use the bowl buffs very often, just on small bowls that the bigger wheels won't go in. BTW the one time my bowls got wet I wiped them down and there wasn't any spots.

John Keeton
03-23-2013, 2:11 PM
Bret, I use the Beall system, as well, and I think you will find most buff somewhere between 700 - 1100 RPM on the lathe. As I recall, the formula for calculating surface speed of the wheel in SFPM is SFPM = 1/4 x diameter of Wheel x RPM (revs of spindle per min.) So, an 8” wheel @ 1750 RPM =2 x 1750 = 3500SFPM. A 4" wheel would be 1750SFPM, compared to using the 8" wheel on the lathe at 800 = 1600SFPM.

A lot of finishes will burn quickly at high RPMs. At 1750RPM, you could quickly make a mess of shellac or lacquer, and some other finishes. Just something to consider.

Mike Peace
03-23-2013, 3:26 PM
I am with the others. Love the Beall buffing system. I do mine on the lathe like John does - 800 to 1200.

Ron Ford
03-23-2013, 4:03 PM
One more vote for the Beall system. I use both the large pads and the bowl buffs and get great results. One caution I would add, especially if you do buff at the higher end of the RPM scale is to HOLD ON to the piece. I have had one or two snatched out of my hands and get banged up on the way down.

Thomas Canfield
03-23-2013, 9:08 PM
You might also check out the Don Pencil buffing adapters to use with a buffing wheel. He has 8" long for 1" drive and 8" and 12" for 1 1/4" drive. I find the 12" works well to buff the inside of larger bowls and hollow forms, using bowl buffs or smaller buffing wheels. Mounting a wheel on a motor does not allow for getting inside much of a bowl.

robert baccus
03-23-2013, 10:31 PM
The Beale or other systems is the easiest way to go. The cheapest is to make 2 blocks that will chuck between your chuck and tailstock cone with a shaft between. Drill a centered hole in each (5/8") and glue in a 5/8" all thread. Make the length appropiate for 1-3 buffing wheels. Spce 8" wheels with double 5/8" nuts and buy compounds and waxes anywhere. Another cheap way is to find a #2 taper with a threaded shaft--3-4", and just insert into your headstock shaft. Attach 1-2 buffing wheels and you are in business. I've always made mine before they came out in a kit form. Beale buffing is not one word.

Thom Sturgill
03-24-2013, 8:02 AM
As I recall, the formula for calculating surface speed of the wheel in SFPM is SFPM = 1/4 x diameter of Wheel x RPM (revs of spindle per min.)

That implies that Pi = 3, but is close enough for a quick estimate.

Circumference in inches = Diameter * Pi divide by 12 to get circumference in feet or divide Diameter by 4 to get a low estimate (3.8 would be more accurate)

SFPM = Speed(rpm) * Circumference(ft) = 1780 * 8 / 3.8 = 3684 - while not important in this discussion it might be in other situations.

Just the engineer in me coming out :D

BTW I use the Beall wheels on the lathe with Pon Pencil's adapter. I buff Tripoli up around 1200rpm so the wheel is hard, step down to 8-900rpm for white diamond and buff wax (REN) at around 700rpm.

Lee Koepke
03-24-2013, 8:54 AM
I just got the Beall, but the first bowl I tried it on was a smaller (7" dia) and couldnt get all the way in the bottom, now what !

Thom Sturgill
03-24-2013, 9:11 AM
I just got the Beall, but the first bowl I tried it on was a smaller (7" dia) and couldnt get all the way in the bottom, now what !
That's where these (http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p/3/-/8/37/-/5178/Beall-4%2522-Bowl-Buff-Kit/buffing) come in :
258039 (http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p/3/-/8/37/-/5178/Beall-4%2522-Bowl-Buff-Kit/buffing)
But I rarely buff the inside of bowls, I prefer a more satin finish on the inside.

Lee Koepke
03-24-2013, 6:04 PM
Thanks Thom...don't have these toys yet...never thought about not doin the inside...I was just excited to try my new toy.

Bret Schaffner
03-24-2013, 7:20 PM
That's where these (http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p/3/-/8/37/-/5178/Beall-4%2522-Bowl-Buff-Kit/buffing) come in :
258039 (http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p/3/-/8/37/-/5178/Beall-4%2522-Bowl-Buff-Kit/buffing)
But I rarely buff the inside of bowls, I prefer a more satin finish on the inside.

I was looking at those for the inside

Bret Schaffner
03-24-2013, 7:29 PM
Thanks for all the help
so it sounds the getting Tripoli, White Diamond compound are Defiantly advised

Thom Sturgill
03-24-2013, 7:33 PM
Thanks for all the help
so it sounds the getting Tripoli, White Diamond compound are Defiantly advised

Not sure how defiant we are but we definitely recommend them and the wheels. The Beall system uses three different composition (firmness) of wheels as well as three different compounds.

Steve Doerr
03-26-2013, 10:52 PM
Fred,
I always used a high speed to buff and wax my turnings (1350+ RPM's). But was not having the consistency that I would like. This is especially true with the bowl buffs--at this time they seem like I wasted my money. After reading your method--buff at about 800 RPM's and wax at about 600 RPM's, I thought what the heck I'd give it a try. Tried it on a spalted oak HF and was amazed at the shine that I was able to produce. It was the best shine I had ever produced with my Beall system. (I took it into the Gallery Monday morning and within a half hour it was sold.) I have tried it on my pens after CA finish and have been extremely pleased with the additional shine it gives to them as well. I am now going to clean my bowl buffs off and try them at a slower speed and see how that works. Thanks for your advise.
Happy turning,
Steve

Denny Rice
03-27-2013, 3:47 AM
Bret,
I also purchased into the Beall system. I like it a lot. I have not been turning all that long, but been a woodworker for quite a while and its a quality product. Here is something I put together. 258297258298258299