PDA

View Full Version : Glass panel upper kitchen cabinet doors ?? no glare possible?

John Schumer
03-23-2013, 10:51 AM
Hello All,
I am in the process of making some upper kitchen cabinet doors.
The cabinets are 36" tall and go all the way to the ceiling.
The doors are wood up to the last 14" by the ceiling, this makes a glass viewing area at the top for
Longaberger baskets to be displayed.
Question is this:
Looking for a low, or no glare, glass for the upper door.
I have used Tru View Museum glass in the past, but that stuff is outrageous price wise!
It was suggested to use an acrylic product named P99.

Does anyone have any experience or suggestions?

Thanks,
John

Sam Murdoch
03-23-2013, 11:05 AM
Here is a site that gives an overview - http://66.135.50.83/Clear-P99-Acrylic-Paper-Mask-Sheet-ACRCL9P.php?showtab=reviews&vid=201210070921-2p I haven't used it but my experience with similar products suggests that this stuff would be a great product - just don't clean it often or with paper towels. Use only manufacturer approved cleaning products and procedures. Get the product specs on how to cut and/or bore holes. Better yet buy it cut to size.

Bill White
03-23-2013, 11:39 AM
I would not use an acrylic. Do ya have a local glass company? I'm fortunate in that one of our locals is a very helpfull shop when it comes to supply and consulting.
Bill

Jerry Miner
03-23-2013, 2:27 PM
I'm with Bill. Go to a local glass shop and ask for no-glare glass. You don't need museum-quality glass. No-glare is used all the time for framing pictures.

Von Bickley
03-23-2013, 2:43 PM
One of my local glass companies has a large selection of different types of glass.

Ole Anderson
03-26-2013, 11:01 AM
I may be wrong here, but if you get non-glare glass intended for art, it is meant to be almost on top of the artwork, not held away from it like the dishes in your cabinets will be. I believe it has a very light frosting, so be sure to try a test piece before ordering enough for your entire project.

Steve Rozmiarek
03-27-2013, 2:07 AM
I may be wrong here, but if you get non-glare glass intended for art, it is meant to be almost on top of the artwork, not held away from it like the dishes in your cabinets will be. I believe it has a very light frosting, so be sure to try a test piece before ordering enough for your entire project.

I agree, no glare glass is is very frosted looking. When art is touching it nearly, the effect is minimal, but as the distance between the glass and the art grows, so does the effect. Could be an interesting look I guess, but probably not what you are looking for.