PDA

View Full Version : Someone's wall board saw?

steven c newman
03-22-2013, 6:21 PM
Picked up a strange little saw today, cost a whopping $3:eek: Medallion says it is a Phuenix( Phoenix???) Patented Warranted with an Eagle on it. Long pointy thing, too257933257934about 7-8 ppi, no stamp as of yet. Maybe I will find an etch after a good cleaning. Plate slopes down where it enters the tote257935 Handle is nice and comfy, and has some wheat carvings , too:D The only downside so far? Plaster all over the teeth:mad: Maybe I can cleanit up? Might be wirth the $3?:D

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
03-22-2013, 9:14 PM
If you start picking up lots of saws (not like we don't know you're the pied piper of old tools!) 3 bucks starts to seem worth it just for donor saw nuts or what not when you have your hands on good steel in an otherwise incomplete piece. Without seeing the condition of the plate, who knows, but I tend to take a chance on most things in that price range if the plate is straight when I see a handle like that that's nicely shaped, not just rounded over in a router table.

Although the little slope down of the plate makes me think it's a mash-up of two saws. Nothing wrong with that, of course - one of my favorite saws is a no-name plate I grafted onto a Disston 7 handle.

Gary Hodgin
03-22-2013, 11:00 PM
Nice save.

steven c newman
03-22-2013, 11:40 PM
Saw has been cleaned up. Took the tote off to clean the plate of rust and plaster257946 Shined up the brass bolts, all four of them257947Haven't done anything to the tote, YET. Got things back together, after a bit of prying things into alignment with a brass rod. 257948 About 26" or so long. Pointy little thing. Sharpen them teeth, and call it good? Teeth are about 7-8 ppi.

Gary Hodgin
03-23-2013, 12:05 AM
Looks great!

steven c newman
03-23-2013, 12:24 PM
Seems to have quite a bit of set to the teeth. Haven't found any broken teeth, either. Maybe make a rip saw out of this one? Will try it out later today. Teeth seem sharp.

steven c newman
03-23-2013, 4:30 PM
Just tried it out on some oak 2x3s. Cuts fast, and cuts straight. Teeth could use a better sharpening, though. Just might be a keeper...

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
03-23-2013, 6:27 PM
Looks like it was a plate/handle mismatch. I kind of like finding those - seems to tell me someone liked one or the other enough to salvage them, so there ought to be something worth my time in there.

Like Gary said, nice save! That blade doesn't look like it's too bad of a shape at all, now.

Jim Palmer
03-24-2013, 6:04 AM
I'd not take too much notice of handle markings and medallion, or use them as a strict means of identifying this saw's maker due to it being a combination of two examples, but Franken-tools such as this can often be of excellent quality and possibly once the valued possession of a craftsman who'd personalised his new saw by switching it's handle for a more comfortable one from "old faithful". The saw plate has certainly seen some use.