PDA

View Full Version : Can I use a blast gate backwards?

Wade Lippman
03-22-2013, 5:24 PM
I bought a bunch of these when they were on sale a month ago and am finally to the point where I get to use them!
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=20379&site=ROCKLER
In a number of cases it will be much more covenient to put them backwards on the pipe and then connect them to the machine with a hose. Having them the right way will require putting them on the machine.

I tried one and it seems to be okay, but don't know how well it will hold up.
Any thoughts?

John McClanahan
03-22-2013, 5:57 PM
They are not directional.

John

paul cottingham
03-22-2013, 6:05 PM
I mount them so the screw is pushing the plate towards the side that is getting suction. So if my dc was connected to the right side of a gate, the screw goes on the left. This way the plate is pushed towards the suction.
or I might be wrong.
honestly, I doubt it matters much, but this is what I do.

David C. Roseman
03-23-2013, 9:58 AM
What Paul said. With the plastic gates, it might be slightly less important, but it does make a difference in air leakage with the metal gates of this style when the gate is closed. Since you're talking about several machines, a small loss of efficiency will mount up. I would think you could compare both ways with a little smoke, if the difference in sound isn't enough.

David

paul cottingham
03-23-2013, 10:31 AM
I didn't even notice that the gates were the plastic ones. Sorry. I had the plastic ones, but in very short order they all got crap in them, and wouldn't close completely. I replaced them with self cleaning metal ones.