PDA

View Full Version : Sanding sleeve on Jet oscillating spindle sander

Fred Voorhees
03-22-2013, 3:25 PM
Went to change out the 1 1/2" sanding sleeve for my Jet benchtop spindle sander and upon getting the old one off (which I had a bit of a tough time getting off) I found that I could only get the new replacement onto the rubber sleeve about halfway down the sleeve. I would need to exert quite a bit of pressure downward on the hollow end of the sleeve to try to force it on...enough that I would crush it first. Tried twisting it back and forth with pressure downward...but still no luck. Yes, the nut on top of the spindle was loosened quite a bit..to where it was above the sleeve rubber and not applying any pressure on the rubber at all. Why would the rubber have expanded to such an extent?Anyone ever have this situation and if so...what did you do to cure it? I am thinking the spindle is shot. Replacement? Thanks for any help.

eugene thomas
03-22-2013, 4:10 PM
Someone on here sade to put the drum in freezer for while. I tried it and seemed to work.

Fred Voorhees
03-22-2013, 4:19 PM
Someone on here sade to put the drum in freezer for while. I tried it and seemed to work.

must have missed that one....sounds like its worth a shot

Jim Tabor
03-22-2013, 8:18 PM
Fred.
Try wiping the rubber sleeve with mineral spirits. That works for me with my Grizzly spindle sander.

Mikail Khan
03-22-2013, 10:05 PM
This procedure helped me get on a 4" sleeve that got stuck.

Remove drum. Remove sleeve from drum. Apply baby powder to inside of sleeve to act as a lubricant. Put on sleeve as far as you can. With both hands on the sleeve tap the bottom of the drum onto a wooden block. 2-3 good taps should get in position.

MK

Fred Voorhees
03-23-2013, 10:43 AM
It's in the freezer as I type this. Will take it out tomorrow and see what has transpired and will give the sleeve another shot. The other ideas all sound plausible...and will keep them in mind.

Joe Cowan
03-24-2013, 12:20 PM
I did the freezer trick and it works very well. Next time I will only leave it in for a very short time and try it. I had a problem with condensation on the drum and ended up wrapping it in a towel to let dry. Not sure if it is a problem or not, but it was so easy to get on, I came to the conclusion that less time would be better.

John C Bush
03-24-2013, 12:38 PM
I tried to remove my sleeves to invert them so I could get more mileage from the unclogged surface and ended up having to tear them off. Does the freezer trick work for removal as well?? Seems reasonable it would but haven't tried it.

Where do you guys buy replacement sleeves? I've used Klingspor and Griz, but was wondering if anyne has found a better pri$e point.