PDA

View Full Version : What to do with fresh logs?

Bill MacLachlan
05-09-2003, 7:32 AM
My golf course is cleaning up after the last ice storm and I can get my hands on some 24" diameter x 24" long logs. I would say they are oak or maple. I know there is some end cracking but they look to be in good shape.
Now what do I with them to get them ready for turning? This is my first go with virgin wood!!
I have read about the LDD but can I do that after cutting into turning blanks or wait until I turn stuff?
Thanks, Bill

Bill Grumbine
05-09-2003, 7:46 AM
Hi Bill

Congrats on the find, especially if it is maple! I don't know what size lathe you have, but ideally, you want to keep the wood as large as possible for as long as possible. That way, if it does check on the ends, you can still get pieces big enough to be worthwhile.

The best way to do this is to saw the things in half to remove the pith. Then, coat the ends and a few inches down the sides with wax or a commercial sealer such as Anchorseal. Paint will do for short term if that is all you have available.

Keep the wood out of the wind and sun as best you can.

Cut it to size, rough it out on the lathe and prepare it for drying. Or depending on your turning style, go right to finished piece from wet.

Good luck with it, and we will all look forward to seeing some of the things you make from it.

Bill

PS If you go to my personal site (click on the www button below) I have a pictioral tutorial on sawing logs up for bowl blanks.

Bill MacLachlan
05-09-2003, 7:42 PM
Thanks Bill for the great info.
I have checked your site and could not ask for a better answer and assitance for my question. I have bookmarked your site and will reference often.
Thanks again.
Bill