PDA

View Full Version : A few new pendant photos

Alan Zenreich
03-22-2013, 10:54 AM
Tomorrow, Lauren and I will be demonstrating eccentric jewelry turning at the NWA Showcase in Saratoga Springs (held concurrently with the Totally Turning event)

Here are a few new pieces that show some of the techniques and materials we'll be showing.

Should be great fun.

Bernie Weishapl
03-22-2013, 11:36 AM
Those are beautiful Alan. Have fun.

Rob Wachala Jr
03-22-2013, 12:25 PM
Very nice.

charlie knighton
03-22-2013, 1:04 PM
like them all, but the 3rd one with the wire the best, what does the other side look like on the 3rd one?

Roger Chandler
03-22-2013, 2:25 PM
All are very well done, Alan........of the four the one with the wire was my least favorite........odd how we all have such different tastes! Nice work for sure!

Harry Robinette
03-22-2013, 11:48 PM
Alan & Lauren
Those are beautiful, I really like the way you do the decorations are you using archival pens.

Jim Burr
03-23-2013, 4:19 PM
Oh heck yeah Alan!! I can do the turning, but the art...you really have a lock on that. Really...great lookin' stuff!!

Alan Zenreich
03-24-2013, 5:51 AM
Our demonstration went very well. Great people in the audience, we all had a good time. Tag team teaching with Lauren is fun! Looking forward to doing it again in Tampa at the AAW Symposium.

Brian Libby
03-24-2013, 6:26 AM
Great demo Alan and Lauren. Did not get a chance to say hi, maybe today!

Michelle Rich
03-24-2013, 6:39 AM
ooohhh..these are quite a few steps ahead of most I have seen. Little works of art! good luck

charlie knighton
03-24-2013, 7:32 AM
Tag team teaching with Lauren is fun! Looking forward to doing it again in Tampa at the AAW Symposium.

bump, i see you will have 2 rotations at tampa, great honor to be accepted at national symposium

Bill Bulloch
03-24-2013, 8:08 AM
I just started turning some penants last week. I have turned seven and was proud of them until I saw yours -- mine look so childish in comparsion. I'll see you in Tampa.

David C. Roseman
03-24-2013, 7:32 PM
Alan and Lauren, these are wonderful! If you have a chance, would you mind sharing what materials you used for the fourth pendant in your pics? Can't tell from the angle, but did you turn that piece, or carve/sand to final shape?

David

Alan Zenreich
03-24-2013, 10:11 PM
David,

This was a turning project, all done on the lathe, no carving. Here are a couple of photos that might give some insight into how it was made.

The wood is a laminate flooring product called Picasso Fantasia Artwood... very interesting stuff, and a fine candidate for carbide tools.
The flooring it tongue and groove, 1/2" thick, which I resawed to 1/4".

To approximate the curves, forstner bits were used to bore some preliminary holes

Attached to a waste block with turner's tape, I turned the perimeter round

Then started shaping, tapering towards the edge

Removed the piece from the tape, cut it in half, and used one of the forstner bits to reposition the piece on the tape, this time centered on the smaller hole.

I then 'thinned out' that arc, and sanded a bit to complete the blending of the two surfaces. Then I repostitioned it on the tape, centered on the larger hole, and thinned out that one.

The disc I used for the background was a thin slice of some burl (possibly redwood) given to me by a friend.

It was an interesting project, and the first of what is likely to be a series based around that shape.

Make sense?

Alan Zenreich
03-24-2013, 10:16 PM
like them all, but the 3rd one with the wire the best, what does the other side look like on the 3rd one?

Charlie, I turned a very thin, tapered, flat bottomed "cup" that encloses the back... it's just wide enough to cover the wirework.

This is just something Lauren is playing with... we have some ideas about where we're going with it. Lauren's pretty good with the wirework, so she'll likely do more wrapping in and around the pendants and necklaces.

Alan Zenreich
03-24-2013, 10:17 PM
Alan & Lauren
Those are beautiful, I really like the way you do the decorations are you using archival pens.

Harry, yes, we're using archival in pens and brushes from Pigma... mostly in .005 and .05 point sizes.

Alan Zenreich
03-24-2013, 10:20 PM
I just started turning some penants last week. I have turned seven and was proud of them until I saw yours -- mine look so childish in comparsion. I'll see you in Tampa.

Bill, we're having great fun experimenting with many tools and techniques... brass inlay, polymer clay, precious metal clay, dyes, inlace, wood inlaying, semi precious stones, airbrushing, piercing, etc.

We are thinking of these pendants as canvases on which to play...

Alan Zenreich
03-24-2013, 10:21 PM
Great demo Alan and Lauren. Did not get a chance to say hi, maybe today!

Thanks Brian, sorry we didn't get a chance to meet... come visit in NJ!

Alan Zenreich
03-24-2013, 10:22 PM
Thanks one and all for the kind words. We really are having a good time making these pendants, and sharing the techniques and toys, cough, errrr.... tools used to produce them.

David C. Roseman
03-25-2013, 8:49 AM
Alan wrote:

David,

This was a turning project, all done on the lathe, no carving. Here are a couple of photos that might give some insight into how it was made.
[snip]

Alan, great little tutorial! Very creative work. Thanks!

David