PDA

View Full Version : Belt Buckle

Jesse Anderson
03-22-2013, 10:52 AM
Made belt buckle blanks out of pallet boards.... I sanded the bottom so it was a curved . Then sanded edges to be decorative. Slapped it in laser. After it was done i finished with pour on epoxy.

Was able to put some epoxy resin and a few screws on back to make the buckle stay on back. Something a Rodeo clown could put to the test as far as durability..

Just thought i would post...

Keith Outten
03-22-2013, 1:13 PM
Nice buckle but it just isn't right teasing those of us who have never been, with the Sturgis logo :)

Its nice to have another belt buckle designer and fabricators among us though!

Jesse Anderson
03-22-2013, 5:20 PM
Logo is a copyright at the moment. Not mush longer though.... Rest assured i can sell my Sturgis stuff this summer . Thank god its being thrown out.

Not to stir any previously boiling pot water. But the Sturgis Trademark is soon to be public domain...

Gary Whitehair
03-23-2013, 6:41 AM
Very nice work!

Keith Outten
03-23-2013, 8:42 AM
The buckles I used to make were all made from stainless steel and welded. It was a very long time ago and we didn't even think about wooden buckles in those days. I still have a box of belt buckle material stored in my barn and a brand new welder on order with a tig torch so I may be able to make buckles again soon :)
I can envision some cermark engraving work this time and possibly adding some wood to my designs. Thanks for sharing the pics and you ideas.

Jesse Anderson
03-23-2013, 8:15 PM
I would love to see some of those metal belt buckles.... If i knew how to weld it would be nice to cut some blanks and use Cermark on those bad boys.............

Keith Outten
03-24-2013, 9:04 AM
Jesse,

A couple pictures below of stainless buckles.
The first picture shows the backside of a buckle. A little dusty as it has been on the shelf for a long time.

The two top buckles are mine.
The bottom two belonged to my Dad. The silver dollar was his birth year.

Jesse Anderson
03-24-2013, 2:04 PM
Thank u Keith. Gave me some good idea's.

Joe De Medeiros
03-26-2013, 2:41 PM
Jesse,

A couple pictures below of stainless buckles.
The first picture shows the backside of a buckle. A little dusty as it has been on the shelf for a long time.

The two top buckles are mine.
The bottom two belonged to my Dad. The silver dollar was his birth year.

Where I use to work all the Boiler Makers had homemade SS belt buckles, it seemed like it was a right of passage.

Bill Cunningham
03-26-2013, 9:06 PM
You can buy these from Tandy..Just screw em on the back..

Keith Outten
03-26-2013, 10:16 PM
Where I use to work all the Boiler Makers had homemade SS belt buckles, it seemed like it was a right of passage.

When I was young I worked Nuclear Power Plant construction projects and having a custom stainless buckle was a sign of the industry (being a Nuke) in those days. The buckle with the K in the middle I have worn almost continuously for close to 40 years. I was fortunate to be able to attend a Kodak Radiographic Interpretation seminar in Rochester New York back in the early 80's and I shot a couple xrays of my buckle, found a small crack in one of the welds but it has never been a problem :)

Got my new Miller welder yesterday and it has stick, mig and tig capability so all I need is a bottle of pure argon to start making buckles and jewelry.

Dan Hintz
03-27-2013, 7:06 AM
Got my new Miller welder yesterday and it has stick, mig and tig capability so all I need is a bottle of pure argon to start making buckles and jewelry.

Looking forward to the review on this one... I've been putting off that purchase for many years now, but I can't keep asking friends if I want to keep them as such ;) It's just like soldering, right? :-p

Keith Outten
03-27-2013, 9:34 AM
Dan,

I wil be busy writing reviews for weeks given my recent purchasing activity. I have been upgrading and adding capability to my shop lately because I am now working for myself again full time. Next week (MAYBE) I will purchase a bottle of pure argon for my tig torch. Today I hope to try out the stick mode and then install the mig torch and connect the argon/co2 gas.

Two years ago I purchased a Miller Bobcat 250 welder/generator and a road trailer.
I added a Baileigh 7" by 10.25" metal cutting horizontal band saw two weeks ago.
I added a Baileigh magnetic 48" box and pan brake bender two weeks ago.
I added a Miller Extreme 625 Plasma Torch three weeks ago.
Just got the Miller Multimatic 200 so I sold my Hobart and probably will dispose of my old Miller buzz box.

I am stepping up my marketing of exterior building signs and really need to invest in better equipment so I can continue to produce my own sign hangers. Got my fingers crossed in hopes that I can stay healthy and get some use from the new machines for many years to come.

I'm a big fan of Miller equipment, we used it exclusively back in the day when I worked for Virginia Power.

I miss not being able to make belt buckles and other goodies that I used to do simply because I enjoyed the projects. When I was employed by VEPCO I was able to get gate passes for almost anything in the scrap yard so I have a box full of nuclear quality belt buckle material that has been in my barn for 30 years. Now I need to seriously consider what I can make for my new grand daughter that she will treasure when I'm gone. My Dad made a bracelet from twisted/weaved inconel when he was young that one of my daughters has now. The bracelet was place on a crane track which flattened it before it was bent into a circle to fit a woman's wrist.

:)