PDA

View Full Version : tailstock creeping problem Jet 1236

Brad Vaughn
03-22-2013, 9:19 AM
Hi all been a long time for me to post on this site.
Well here it is I have a 1236 Jet lathe that the tailstock is creeping and I remember that someone used to make a square replacement clamp that worked better then the round one.
For the life of me I cant find one.
I did find the post on hear but that was dated 2003.
Anyone have a source?
Thanks
Brad

Leo Van Der Loo
03-22-2013, 11:21 AM
Brad I had that problem with my LA200 lathe, the area that the round disk contacts the ways is very small, so I made a rectangular plate and that worked well.

It is very easy to make that piece yourself, just measure the disk that is on your lathe now, for width and thickness, then go and get a small piece of flat mild steel that is the same or a bit larger than your measurements.

Make the piece the same width if it isn't, as the round disk is, mark carefully the center and drill a hole through the plate and assemble to the tailstock, all done.

Two pictures here that show what I made, HTH

257899 257900

Doug W Swanson
03-22-2013, 12:01 PM
The other thing you might try is to reach under the tailstock and tighten up the nut that holds the round thing in place. Mine would loosen over time so I would have to tighten it up every few uses....

Jeff Gilfor
03-22-2013, 12:04 PM
I bought these: http://monster-lathe-tools.com/cart.php?target=product&product_id=255&category_id=64
About six months ago. Problem solved!

Brad Vaughn
03-22-2013, 12:17 PM
I bought these: http://monster-lathe-tools.com/cart.php?target=product&product_id=255&category_id=64
About six months ago. Problem solved!
That is what I am looking for but thats for a MINI lathe
the Jet 1236 is a full size lathe.

Brad Vaughn
03-22-2013, 12:18 PM
The other thing you might try is to reach under the tailstock and tighten up the nut that holds the round thing in place. Mine would loosen over time so I would have to tighten it up every few uses....
Yep done that to

Brad Vaughn
03-22-2013, 12:19 PM
Brad I had that problem with my LA200 lathe, the area that the round disk contacts the ways is very small, so I made a rectangular plate and that worked well.

It is very easy to make that piece yourself, just measure the disk that is on your lathe now, for width and thickness, then go and get a small piece of flat mild steel that is the same or a bit larger than your measurements.

Make the piece the same width if it isn't, as the round disk is, mark carefully the center and drill a hole through the plate and assemble to the tailstock, all done.

Two pictures here that show what I made, HTH

257899 257900
I may do this just was hoping for a buy it now fix. Thanks

charlie knighton
03-22-2013, 1:07 PM
you have probably already done this but ya might clean your ways......i use wd-40

Jerry Marcantel
03-22-2013, 1:36 PM
You could also have a wear problem on whatever is attached to the cam lock? for locking tailstock down.. 257907257908257909 Notice the wear on the eyebolt I'm using, but what is suprising is the wear on the can locks? seen in the last 2 pictures..... So far I don't have a solution to correct it other than put grease on the wear point and hope that stops the wear........ Jerry (in Tucson)

Brad Vaughn
03-22-2013, 1:51 PM
This is the system I have now

Jeff Gilfor
03-22-2013, 4:25 PM
On the Monster Tools site, they sell square nuts (just like the ones for the mini-lathes) that they say are to hold their hollowing rig to the bed. That should be perfect to replace the ones on your headstock (I would think). They sell them individually. Can always give 'em a call or send an email inquirey.

Brad Vaughn
03-22-2013, 5:02 PM
On the Monster Tools site, they sell square nuts (just like the ones for the mini-lathes) that they say are to hold their hollowing rig to the bed. That should be perfect to replace the ones on your headstock (I would think). They sell them individually. Can always give 'em a call or send an email inquirey.
In Fact I have been looking at what they have to do my "tailstock" I would have to drill out one of theres to make it work I went and ordered one I think the worst case will be I have to drill it out. I will post a photo after I get it in place or not LOL
Thanks All

mark ravensdale
03-22-2013, 6:54 PM
Jerry, copper-slip grease would probably work better than normal grease (by normal I think you know what I mean) it works great in jobs like what you need.

Phil Harris
03-22-2013, 10:05 PM
Jerry, you might take the cam shafts to your local welder and see if he will weld some "hard-faceing" on the wear spots. You or the welder will have to grind the area smooth again, but if you keep it lubed it will wear forever.

Phil Harris