PDA

View Full Version : Segmenting for ring sizes and thickness

Glenn Torbert
03-21-2013, 9:10 PM
I am experienced turner but new to segmenting, I found the math formula to set up my ring sizes using the 15 degree angle, one basic question: If my wood is 3/4 inch thick, and I set up my wall thickness at .5 inches, how do I decide how to taper the bowl increments, can I do at 1 inch increases per ring or do I need to taper it slower to maintain wall strength and prevent going to thin.....Exa: base =5'ring 1=6' ring 2 =7' etc

Robert Henrickson
03-21-2013, 9:58 PM
The brute force method would be simply to draw it up on graph paper (and you can generate graph paper online, if needed). I suspect that would be my first approach. Experienced segmenters can probably give better advice.

Thom Sturgill
03-21-2013, 10:05 PM
Since you control the shape of the 'blank' segmented vessels *should* be carefully designed. drawing it out on graph paper or using design software is a good idea.

Robert Henrickson
03-21-2013, 10:13 PM
My source of graph paper is

http://incompetech.com/graphpaper/

You can create whatever grid density you want. There are all sorts of other grids possible -- I've used some of the hex form for designing stained glass patterns.

Bill Bulloch
03-21-2013, 10:17 PM
You can draw your project on graph paper and determine your wall thickness that way. Search the web and you should be able to find examples of how to do this. Better though, would be to download the Free 30 day trail software from: http://www.segmentedturning.com/software.htm , or from Segmenting Pro. This is the best way to design your project. They do all the math for you.

Robert McGowen
03-21-2013, 10:24 PM
I would say that you need to get some software. Based on your example of a 5" base, then a 6" ring, then a 7" ring, your boards would need to be 1 3/8" wide to end up with a wall thickness of 1/2". Also, doing it that way will form a straight sided bowl, which is not usually the shape that most people are after. I use Segmented Project Planner. Also, Malcolm Tibbetts segmented turning book will give you a giant headstart in segmenting. Hope this helps.

John Beaver
03-22-2013, 12:21 AM
It's real easy to do a sketch and draw the blocks around each portion. It's also better to leave the segments a little longer to allow some adjustment when turning. Don't try to make them too close as it's easy to run out of room - don't ask me how I know this.

Michelle Rich
03-22-2013, 6:00 AM
Draw the bowl you want on graph paper..then draw in the segments..you will see how much bigger than 1/2 inch you will need..getting a nice flowing curve and great shape, takes larger segments than you are envisoning. For your first few, I'd skip the software & learn from paper..you will become a better segmenter if you learn from yourself & draw it.