PDA

View Full Version : Ford Escape or Chevrolet Equinox

Dave Lehnert
03-21-2013, 6:58 PM
Need to start looking for something new to drive. Kinda thinking a crossover.
2013 Ford Escape or Chevrolet Equinox.
Like to hear from owners what they like or dislike.

Mike Cozad
03-21-2013, 7:41 PM
Based on the research I did 3 months ago when I bought a new car I would definitely lean to the Escape if it has the Ecoboost technology. There seemed to be a premium on every ford we looked at, however. So in the end I bought neither. I went after a vehicle with a much longer warranty and better customer service record.

Chuck Wintle
03-22-2013, 8:08 AM

I would suggest to read the forums on edmunds.com as there are many interesting posts there.

Steven Lee, NC
03-22-2013, 8:22 AM
I went with a gas (not diesel) Jetta Wagon after going through all the cross overs. Didn't ride as high so it handles much better and was still pretty roomy and since it wasn't so heavy it actually responded quite well when I put my foot down on the accelerator. I got a great deal on it tho as it was some VW program car that was barely driven but they couldn't sell it as new.

David Weaver
03-22-2013, 8:26 AM
My exposure to them has been three escapes prior to this generation (and this generation is entirely different), and two equinoxes. Both equinoxes have been poor (enough to be traded in before they were 7 years old). The escapes have been fine, but their mileage has been disappointing (which is something the current generation solved by their mileage claims, less like a truck, more like a car).

I wouldn't be at all surprised to go find from CR's reliability survey (if you can get the data) that the equinox has poor reliability figures overall. I did hear something funny in terms of sales tactics, though. Years ago, a friend's dad (he would make a third person, but he didn't keep it long enough to find out if it was a dud, traded it in on a Rav4) bought an equinox and the dealer's line to him was "it's exactly like a lexus". haha :)

David Weaver
03-22-2013, 8:32 AM
Just checked CR's reliability information. Both of them appear to be "average" reliability in the base models, but that doesn't amount to much for the escape since it doesn't seem to resemble the model that the reliability data was based on.

Dave Lehnert
06-02-2013, 9:50 PM
Bump back to the top.

Any info on a Hyundai Santa fe

Dick Latshaw
06-03-2013, 8:54 AM
We bought a 2013 Honda CR-V last December. Zero problems with it. 26-28 mpg around town and 29-30 on the Interstate.

David Weaver
06-03-2013, 10:43 AM
Bump back to the top.

Any info on a Hyundai Santa fe

It's a redesign year unless you get one a couple of years old (so you can't get a good gauge on reliability or really rely on past reliability).

CRs data for the last three years (on the prior model) looks OK. Not perfect like some of the toyotas used to look, but not bad, either.

The long ago santa fe design was very popular here (e.g., the 2003/2004 models), but I haven't seen nearly as many in a while. Then again, the ford explorers seem to be coming off the road for retirement at an alarming pace, too.

Bryan Slimp
06-03-2013, 11:46 AM
I think you should take a pretty serious look at the Subaru Outback. I really like it, good build quality, lot of smart features, and pretty good MPG.

Montgomery Scott
06-03-2013, 4:15 PM
Subaru XV.

Steve Meliza
06-03-2013, 5:50 PM
My in-laws purchased a new Equinox about 2-3 years ago and I have ridden it in several times and driven it a handful. Its never needed repairs and 2010 and newer models get pretty good safety ratings. However, I'd never buy one because as soon as you open the door you notice that it is as thin as cardboard and the seats welcome your posterior with the comfort of a wood church pew. Several minutes later I find myself yearning for the church pew and feeling a tad nauseous, though never anything more than something that makes me want to be on my own two feet again. I never look forward to a ride in it and I think that says something.

Don Morris
06-07-2013, 3:55 PM
I liked the Hundai Santa Fe except for the harsh ride.

Ole Anderson
06-08-2013, 12:48 PM
I like that the OP wanted to choose between two American vehicles but then everybody throws out their favorite foreign vehicle. And while I subscribe to Consumers reports, often real life happiness with a car bears little resemblance to their reviews. In the July 2013 issue their highest ever reviewed car with 99 out of a 100 was the US made Tesla Model S, but it will set you back 90 grand. We talk about the good old days when we could buy quality American tools, but look without even thinking to keep buying foreign cars. We have some really good cars here folks. Ok, Ok, I'm from the Detroit area and I would love to see my neighbors get back to work. End of rant.

Jerome Stanek
06-08-2013, 2:00 PM
When we were looking for a new Explorer we found that the Santa Fe and Kia Soranto were about the same price.

Harry Hagan
06-08-2013, 4:02 PM

Dave,

I sent you a PM with my contact info.

Curt Harms
06-09-2013, 8:11 AM
I like that the OP wanted to choose between two American vehicles but then everybody throws out their favorite foreign vehicle. And while I subscribe to Consumers reports, often real life happiness with a car bears little resemblance to their reviews. In the July 2013 issue their highest ever reviewed car with 99 out of a 100 was the US made Tesla Model S, but it will set you back 90 grand. We talk about the good old days when we could buy quality American tools, but look without even thinking to keep buying foreign cars. We have some really good cars here folks. Ok, Ok, I'm from the Detroit area and I would love to see my neighbors get back to work. End of rant.

There are quite a few 'foreign' cars built in the U.S. Some are even built in the U.S. and exported.

Ole Anderson
06-10-2013, 8:44 AM
There are quite a few 'foreign' cars built in the U.S. Some are even built in the U.S. and exported.

No argument here, IMHO those would be a better choice than imported vehicles, but even there the profits go overseas, followed by imports built by domestic companies. I've owned two Vibes, a Toyota/Pontiac collaboration built in CA. The current one has a known valve train issue that cost me several hundred and a tow to the dealer as it would loose compression to the point of not starting after sitting while I was in FL for a month. My first car was a '68 Opal (still GM at the time so I could get GM employee pricing from my FIL). It was no better, in fact worse, than the domestic cars at the time which isn't saying much. Everything else has been domestic GM or Chrysler. Currently still driving the '09 Vibe and a '13 GMC Acadia which coincidentally is highly rated by Consumers Reports, although I didn't know it when I bought it. Previously I had 4 Astro/Safari mid size vans which I loved, but were panned by CR. In general even the worst of today's cars are far better than what anyone built in the seventies.

Dave Verstraete
06-10-2013, 6:15 PM
I purchased a Honda CRV last year to replace my BMW X5. I needed a vehicle to tow behind the motorhome. It is a solid little car that is highly rated. It almost replaces the X5!