PDA

View Full Version : Curly Maple finish

Ray Petri
05-09-2005, 3:12 PM
What is the best way to bring out the curl in curly maple?

Scott Coffelt
05-09-2005, 4:21 PM
I find that dyes bring out the figure nice.

Ray Petri
05-09-2005, 6:07 PM
Thanks Scott. Is there a praticulat dye that really brings out the curl?

lou sansone
05-09-2005, 9:16 PM
here is an example of some of the work that I have done with curly maple. is this what you are thinking about ? If so I can provide additional details

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=18743

lou

Bill Wiggins
05-09-2005, 10:01 PM
I'd like to know how you did this? I'm assuming you used a red or orange dye (I'm a bit color blind) then sanded it out.

Martin Shupe
05-10-2005, 12:59 AM
Lou,

As I said before in the previous thread, unless it is a secret, please tell us, slowly, step by step, how you attained that marvelous color and finish!

I have some curly maple that I would like to try it out on!

Thanks!

lou sansone
05-10-2005, 7:38 AM
dear all

I will be glad to share it with you, but have to run out right now. Should be able to post the method tonight
lou

Donnie Raines
05-10-2005, 8:34 AM
Lou,

As I said before in the previous thread, unless it is a secret, please tell us, slowly, step by step, how you attained that marvelous color and finish!

I have some curly maple that I would like to try it out on!

Thanks!

Martin,

When we meet up in July I will show you a few tricks as well.

lou sansone
05-10-2005, 9:58 PM
hello all
here is what I have found to work for curly maple, after lots of experimentation - You have to have decent maple or else the rest is not worth a hill of beans.

I call this my "double dye process" I am not sure that I have ever seen anyone else use this exact method, but for all I know every one does but will not tell anyone how they do it.

1. sand to 220 grit
2. use a water base aniline dye - I use a mixture of honey amber maple and pilgram maple. mix to suit your taste. I think darker is better than lighter on the color
3. brush on the dye. lots of it. rub it into the wood with a rag.
4. let it dry overnight
5. sand to get rid of the raised grain. Do not sand off the dye. Some folks do that, but I do not. I also do not play games with using different color dyes and sanding them back. If you have decent wood and the right base color the wood will do the work and not the chemistry lab.
6. brush on the dye again- same strength or possibly a little weaker or stronger depending on the first try
7. let it dry overnight
8. coat the whole piece with BLO thinned with turps or mineral spirits- soak it on and if you want you can use a sanding sponge and make gravy with the dust and BLO. Be carefull here - use super fine sponges
9. wipe off the excess
10. let it dry a few days
11. put 1 or 2 coats of orange or garnet shellac 1/2 lb cut on with a brush and sand between coats carefully - this is where you can ruin the piece by sanding through the dye
12. top coat with what ever you like - tung oil, poly soup mixture, more shellac- but use super blond , nitro lacquer, ....
13 put a few coats on of the top coat until you like the build
14. let the finish set a week
15. rub it out with 0000 steel wool and wax or what ever else you like to rub stuff out with
16. make a nice pot of coffee and sit and look at your piece for a while - think nice thoughts and all of that rot.
17. post a picture for us to look at on SMC

kind regards
lou

Martin Shupe
05-11-2005, 1:02 AM
Thanks for posting, Lou, I'll give that a try when I get around to a maple project.

I think your piece and finish are beautiful!

Martin Shupe
05-11-2005, 1:03 AM
Martin,

When we meet up in July I will show you a few tricks as well.

Thanks, Don, I am counting on it!

Ray Petri
05-11-2005, 9:27 AM
Thanks Lou. I will certainly try your method and post my results.