PDA

View Full Version : Did not know this...

Liesl Dexheimer
03-21-2013, 1:26 PM
I was watching Rowmark's video series on youtube & saw them vector cutting their plastic with the protective coating still on. I thought you weren't supposed to cut with the coating on...don't know why I ordered a large roll of transfer tape a few months ago. Could have saved me some $. Also, they cut with the top up, I usually cut with the top down to prevent burn marks. Oh, well...learn something new every day...

In case anyone is interested, here's the video: http://youtu.be/w9f8Y-MsB3o

Dan Hintz
03-21-2013, 3:36 PM
As the sheets get older (sitting on the shelf), you'll find the cover more difficult to tear off... you don't want to do that after you've engraved/vectored fine features. Also, some covers will melt, so it's best to get it off of there early in the process.

Joe Pelonio
03-21-2013, 8:17 PM
Their demo is meant to make it look easy so they sell more of it. That clear film can weld itself to the cuts edges and be hard to get started when peeling. Not usually too bad if it's fresh but you never how long it's been on the shelf when you get it. Normally I will peel it all off, then engrave, then apply transfer tape to cut, and always with the face up.

Bill Cunningham
03-21-2013, 10:27 PM
If I'm raster engraving to specific shapes, i.e 8.5 x 11 for legend plates etc. I quite often cut several blanks with the film on.. I have never had it stick, or weld to the edges.. I peal it off before rastering, and it I have to cut it further, I use masking.. But the initial 'chunk' is always cut with the film on