PDA

View Full Version : Natural edge sofa table

Sam Layton
03-21-2013, 12:58 AM
A couple of years ago when we built our fire place, I built a natural edge mantel with the bark left on. My wife then wanted a sofa table with the live edge and bark. So this is what I came up with. The wood is juniper, and the base is red oak.

The top had some natural voids in it. I wanted the top to be level and flat, so I filled the voids with turquoise. This is my first time with the turquoise inlay. Something different. Another project off the list.

Sam

thomas prusak
03-21-2013, 8:48 AM
Looks great Sam. Nice work as always

Mark Valsi
03-21-2013, 10:41 AM
Nice work, I like those inlays !

Mark Valsi
03-21-2013, 10:42 AM
Sam, I see you are from So. Cal. Where did you get that wood ?? tree fall down in a wind storm ?

Shawn Pixley
03-21-2013, 10:43 AM
Very nice!

Sam Layton
03-21-2013, 11:01 AM
Hi Mark,

I am just down the 210 fwy, east about 10 miles from you. I purchased the wood in Big Bear Lake. In the Big Bear Lake area there are numerous places selling log slabs/blanks for fireplace mantels, as well as chain saw carvings, etc. I also purchased a large slab for our fireplace mantle years ago. That is when my wife said she wanted one for a sofa table.

Sam

jim sauterer
03-21-2013, 9:08 PM
looks great sam.how do you do the turquoise.looks pretty cool .thanks jim.

Sam Layton
03-22-2013, 12:17 PM
Hi Jim,

This was my first time inlaying turquoise. I purchased small turquoise nuggets from Ebay. I then smashed the turquoise to a large sand consistence, and sifted it to a couple different sizes. A couple of the holes in the wood were deep. So instead of using turquoise to fill them, I used sand in the deep spots, allowing enough space on top for the turquoise. I placed the turquoise in the holes, and used thin CA glue to glue them in. Before the thin CA would set, I followed up with medium CA, I usually allowed the CA to dry overnight. I then used a belt/ROS to sand down the turquoise. I was happy with the results, and enjoyed doing something different.

Sam