PDA

View Full Version : Ridgid 12" SCMS

Jerry Bruette
03-20-2013, 8:24 PM
So I head to Home Depot this past weekend, with my HF 25% off coupon in hand, looking for a 12" SCMS. They don't stock the 12" model in Green Bay only the 10". But they had a deal on a DeWalt 12" which is stocked. After talking to the sales person he says a larger store may stock the 12".

So I put my coupon away and go home to search the HD sites in larger areas for the 12" model. Well I can't find it anywhere and the web site says it is out of stock for a online purchase.

Why wouldn't they stock the store brand instead of another? Could they be phasing out the current version and replacing it with a newer version?

I was dissapointed that they didn't stock the Makita 12" in the store either, that's what I was really after.

Anyone have any insight on this situation?

Jerry

Joseph Tarantino
03-20-2013, 8:36 PM
no 12" ridgid dual bevel sliding compound miter saws in westchester cnty, NY. they do have a 10"slider from ridgid that looks nice, though.

Dave Lehnert
03-20-2013, 10:12 PM
They replaced the 12" slider with the new 10" model. I got the 12" slider about a year and a half ago for around $200. I put off the purchase because of reviews saying there was a defect in the saw and would not cut square. But I liked the large table and the price was too good to pass up. The saw is 100% accurate. It is one of the better tools in my shop. My opinion the problem people were reporting in their reviews was because they were not letting the saw do the work.

Jerry Bruette
03-21-2013, 9:47 PM
Okay no Ridgid 12" slider available.

Does anyone have an opinion on the DeWalt DWS 780? Some reviews I've read complain about the bearings on the slide mechanism.

That coupon is burning a hole in my pocket.

Jerry

Bill White
03-23-2013, 11:33 AM
I do not have a slider, but my 10" DW 703 was, and continues to be, a good purchase.
I have just seen too many negatives about Ridgid saws. Vacs and combo belt/spindle sanders aside, I'm just not completely sold on the Ridgid power tools today.
Now, if ya wanna talk about the old pipe wrenches and plumbing tools.......................
Guess that I'm just showin' by age.
Bill

Joe Scharle
03-23-2013, 12:08 PM
I have one of the original Ridgid 12" sliders. And yes, it would not cut square until I broke the fence and put it back together with plastic epoxy. They wanted $85.00 for the fence with no guarantee it would be 180 deg, so I fixed it myself.

Jerry Bruette
03-23-2013, 2:29 PM
I have one of the original Ridgid 12" sliders. And yes, it would not cut square until I broke the fence and put it back together with plastic epoxy. They wanted $85.00 for the fence with no guarantee it would be 180 deg, so I fixed it myself.

This is why I value SMC personal reviews more than BORG reviews. That slider got good marks from the HD website.
If I buy used how do I know if I'm getting an early version or later version?:confused: Look for the break marks and epoxy?:eek:

Jerry