PDA

View Full Version : Tough Choice, Table Size

Bob Tate
05-09-2005, 12:54 PM
I have my mind made up as far as Epilog. My choice now is either a Mini 24, 24 X 12 table, or Helix 24, 24 X 18 table.

Is the smaller table ($3000 cheaper) going to satisfy the general needs? Or is the larger table better? I understand it depends on what I want to do. I guess I am asking, what did you folks do? And how did you come to the decision on what you purchased. I don't want to buy something I am not going to use.

Any input you can provide to help my decision will be gratefully accepted.

Thanks,

Alan Young
05-09-2005, 3:13 PM
I don't know what to tell you, I wish I had a bigger and more powerful laser. I have a 30 watt with a 18 by 24 table. More power to do some different things and to do them quicker and bigger to do multiple items at the same time. But I can also make do with what I have. The one thing I have found is that I am always finding something new to do with the laser. Some make money others are for my enjoyment. I guess my suggestion is go bigger if you can afford it.

Alan

Robert Alexander
05-09-2005, 9:35 PM
Bob I got the epilog helix which has a 18 x 24 inch table. But I also bought the highest wattage I could afford which was 45 watts. this will allow me to do thicker pieces and faster speeds. So I can do more in less time.

Bill Stein
05-14-2005, 7:18 PM
Bob, I am a pretty new laser owner but I went through the same painful decision process that you are going through. I decided on a 12x24 table and have not regretted it. The questions I asked myself are the one that you are asking -- what can I do on a larger table that I cannot do on a 12x24. But I also asked myself if whatever I was going to do on the larger table would provide an adequate return on investment. In other words, would whatever I was going to do that required a larger table generate enough profit over whatever I would do on a 12x24 to justify the expense. The answer for me was no.

The other thing to keep in mind is that a larger table has secondary effects. The machine is larger, heavier, harder to move around, and takes up more floor space. There is more area to clean. Parts may be more expensive (Y-axis parts such as rails, belts, etc. have to be longer which probably means more money). Again, these items may not matter to you if you are really cranking out items that you couldn't do on a 12x24 -- but it is something to keep in mind.

Nick Adams
05-15-2005, 12:22 AM
I debated on a 12x24 mini for about 2 months, once I was able to use a 32x20 table I was hooked. I love the fact I can lay in multiple pieces of a same run, even different runs if you know how to measure =) and walk back up to help customers and put together awards/signage . However had I not been able to get my machine for 25k I wouldnt have done it. But man, the larger table helps on the times when you just dont have all day to stand at the laser.

75w epilog 32ex 32x20 table

Just as a comparison, We do alot of small school plaques for students. among many other things. on a 12x24 table you could laser

12x24 table = 12 plates
20x32 table = 25 plates 108% increase
18x24 table = 18 plates 50% increase over the 12x24 table

Wattage means alot. Few people will ever upgrade the laser tube unless it burns out. So starting with the highest you can afford is not a bad suggestion however my 75w laser is sometimes to much for the fine fine detail work with materials like LaserLights. at 100s 3p I can still get burnthrough.

My advice would be to step up to the nexxt size table from what will work. and to bump the power up to what you can afford. To much is very seldom a problem, You just cant relate power settings to those with 35w machines as easily=)

Hopefully you can pull some meaning out of this post , I started rambling as it is late.

Michael McDuffie
05-15-2005, 1:05 AM
Here's a different point of view.

While table size is an important factor, consider that a table top unit may not have the depth to run the rotary fixture and a candle holder.

Some folks in Tacoma had to bring me a candle stick that was to big for their machine. The base was maybe 5" across and they couldn't drop the table far enough to focus on it. It fit fine in my 70 watt Legend 24.

Also, long things can stick out the front, at least on mine. I've done the grip on a bass fishing rod.

Michael

Glenn Palhof
05-15-2005, 10:59 PM
hi bob
when i decided to purchase a laser i defined my goals,what types of materials i would engrave on.cost is a factor,but you should go as large as you can. my table area is 4'x8'. many jobs never come close to using this space but you never know what might come along.
good luck in your decision.

glenn palhof :)

Rodne Gold
05-16-2005, 1:01 AM
With our type of lasers , table size is a double edged sword.
If you want to do multiples, production or even think of adding a dual head , then the big table sizes are king.
However they can bite you back as due to the nature of the flying optic system , power does not remain constant over the whole table area and you basically have to set settings for the weakest power if you want to use the whole area. This might not give the best results where the beam is strongest. To get consistency you thus have to be able to or make sure the beam is aligned all over the table. (Its generally a very fiddly operation and is daunting for a newbie)
There is very little justification for buying massive tables just to put in one or 2 big items now and then - it's a waste of money. In this case rather spend what you would have on a little more power or a faster machine.
Other issues of large table sizes are the reduced rigidity of the x/y components , more expensive cutting grids and so forth.

In the laser world , time is everything , the less you take to do a job , the more you make so your decision should be based partly on this. (obviously quality also plays a part , no sense in blinding speed with unsaleable quality)

Bob Tate
05-16-2005, 12:09 PM
I really appreciate all of the replies. This is exactly the kind of input I was looking for. I was thinking it would be a waste for me, and me personally, not to take issue with other folks decisions, to buy a bigger table than I think I will need. I suppose a person can always farm out larger work. Do any of you folks ever take on jobs like that, something that would be beyond my capabilities?

Thanks
Bob

Nick Adams
05-16-2005, 12:37 PM
Currently I do work for 4 other laser owners. They all have a 12x24 or 18x24 table size. I have even done some work for them on the mass production side of it. Just for the shear volume my machine can process.

So Yes. I assume that others with large lasers do work for other companies also. If you brought the work by or shiped it and payed for it, my guess is anyone with the equipment will do it. After all, making money s what alot of us have them for =)