PDA

View Full Version : Can you center your router in a Jessem Mast-R-Lift?

Michael Heffernan
03-20-2013, 6:10 PM
I just installed a PC7518 motor in a new Jessem/Incra Mast-R-Lift II. I sometimes use the MagnaLock ring with a PC template guide. I was wondering if there is a way to center the router bit on the guide bushing with this lift? I don't see any way to adjust the lift mechanism and locking it down dead-on center.
To be honest, I haven't yet checked to see if it is centered on the opening. I hope it is.
I had a Triton router and Incra RT plate previously in the table and was able to center the router on the bushing and then lock down the mounting screws.
Any ideas, experiences with this?

C Scott McDonald
03-20-2013, 9:11 PM
I have a mast-r-lift II and I guess I don't understand your question.

What do you mean center the router bit on the guide bushing?

Michael Heffernan
03-20-2013, 9:36 PM
When you use a guide bushing in a router, you need to center the bushing to the center of the collet/bit. On a handheld router, I center the bushing in the sub-base with a centering cone. Loosen the screws that hold the sub-base to the router base and line up the bushing with the center of the router shaft. Then tighten down the sub-base and your bit will be perfectly centered in relation to the guide bushing. (as long as there is no runout in your router and the bushing is perfectly round). That way your rout will be even on all sides of cut, regardless which portion of your bushing is against your template.
So, the same applies if you put a template guide (bushing) in the router table. I do some template work on the table that requires the guide to be centered on the bit, and I see no way to adjust the lift to make this possible.

I have a mast-r-lift II and I guess I don't understand your question.

What do you mean center the router bit on the guide bushing?

glenn bradley
03-20-2013, 11:03 PM
That is how I centered my Mil 5625 in my Woodpecker RPL. Put the template in and use the precision machined centering shaft that comes with it. The cone type centering "bits" are fine for centering a plate on a router but allow too much wandering for centering a motor in a lift IMHO. Without centering your motor in your lift the scale on the lift plate (if present) is pretty worthless ;-)

Denny Rice
03-20-2013, 11:27 PM
I am suppose to receive my new Jessum Mast-R-lift from Amazon tomorrow. Amazon had to take the 1st one back (came damaged by UPS).

Luther Oswalt
03-20-2013, 11:27 PM
I have never had to center my 7518 router in my Jessum Lift at all. It was centered the day I installed it several years ago and has remained so.
Leo

mreza Salav
03-21-2013, 12:34 AM
Without centering your motor in your lift the scale on the lift plate (if present) is pretty worthless ;-)

If this is a serious claim, how can possibly these two be related?

Stephen Cherry
03-21-2013, 9:38 PM
One option would be to get a pin router accesory

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNAk3RQZr3E

In addition to their coolness, pin routers let you align the pin to the router, and see the guide while you are routing.