PDA

View Full Version : Cocobolo what finish other than wax?

Andy Misco
05-09-2005, 12:15 PM
Does Anyone have any ideas/secrets they would like to share on what finish to use with Cocobolo? I understand it is too oily to take most products and some people just use a wax.
If you have a secret I promise not to share it withoout your permission.
Andy

Bruce Shiverdecker
05-09-2005, 4:44 PM
I have finished two Cocobolo Duck calls with eight coats of French Polish and it's holding up well.

Bruce

Jim Tobias
05-09-2005, 11:45 PM
I've used Watco and Minwax Antique oil finish and they both turned out fine. JUst wipe the cocobola down with naptha before finishing. Then give it an extra day or so to dry completely.

Ted Harris
05-09-2005, 11:52 PM
Does Anyone have any ideas/secrets they would like to share on what finish to use with Cocobolo? I understand it is too oily to take most products and some people just use a wax.
If you have a secret I promise not to share it withoout your permission.
Andy
I finish cocobolo all the time...
It needs to be sealed with epoxy before applying any kind of brush on or catalyzed finish. Wipe on epoxy, the wipe it off with a paper towel. I do that 4 times or so...then I use automotive finish on the pool cues I make, and have no real problem finishing it. It is quite a bit more porous than most woods, but the epoxy helps the finish fill quicker. Good luck!

Steven Wilson
05-10-2005, 9:50 AM
I've had good experience with shellac and lacquer on cocobolo or bocate