PDA

View Full Version : Cribbage Box

Paul Phillips
03-20-2013, 1:41 PM
Made this for my wife's B-day. I didn't have much time to spend on it so it's not as nice as I wanted but my wife loved it. Sorry some of the pics are a bit fuzzy, will try to replace them, I used some HD 3/16" BB Plywood clear coated and some "Arctic Ice" Corian for the board, the Corian is just paint filled, wished I had some Black adhesive for it. She loves all things Celtic so I found some cool fonts online, the outer text is one called "Celtic Runes" and it says her name and birth date and love from me and the kids. I made a small box for the pegs out of .11" plywood. I just love being able to throw together a nice personalized gift like this in a few hours.
Feel free to PM me if you would like the files for your own use.
Paul

Steve Busey
03-20-2013, 2:07 PM
That's very cool, Paul!

Was the Corian was drilled for the holes, or lasered?

Paul Phillips
03-20-2013, 2:26 PM
Thanks Steve, I cut the Corian on the CNC router and drilled it, then lasered the letters, paint filled and sanded, having an automatic tool changer is nice because I was able to do the round-over edges as well, did it in two layers and glued them together. The Corian doesn't come out very clean when you cut it with the laser but it can be done but will require more clean-up/sanding, it can be easily cut with a bandsaw or jigsaw as well if you don't have a CNC machine.

Mick A Martin
03-20-2013, 3:05 PM
Very nice box, I understand how to use the CNC router but I have a lot to learn when it comes to the laser. I sent you a PM regarding the files

Steve Busey
03-20-2013, 3:22 PM
Is the cribbage board fastened into the box, or does it just lift out?

Paul Phillips
03-20-2013, 3:50 PM
Steve, it comes out, the box is just to keep it stored and make it a bit more personalized as a gift. I emailed you the files.
If you have access to a bandsaw or jigsaw you could easily score the shape with the laser and hand cut it, you could also raster the holes to mark them and hand drill with a drill press if desired. I ordered the pegs from
http://www.cribbagesupply.com/plainpegs.html I drilled the holes with a 1/8" bit.