PDA

View Full Version : Question about walnut oil finish

Brian Brown
03-20-2013, 9:02 AM
I made a black walnut bowl, and finished it with 2 coats of Mahoney's Walnut oil finish. The finish looks really good, and the oil really brought out the figure in the wood. My question is, how durable and long lasting will this oil finish be for a piece that is used only for display, and not utility. The bowl will be displayed on a plate display stand and I can't imagine anybody putting anything in it (it won't hold soup). I need a finish that won't need to be refreshed every few years because I plan to use other materials attached to the bowl, that would make it difficult or impossible to refresh the finish in the future. Do you recommend a more durable finish over the oil and if so what? I don't want a glossy finish on this one.

Ted Calver
03-20-2013, 10:15 AM
Maybe a film forming finish would be better. A film finish can be knocked down so it isn't glossy. Most of my walnut oil finished pieces are utility pieces and they seem to lose that initial luster after a few months and require a revitalization....even the ones that don't get used often. Film finished items seem to retain their luster longer. Walnut does tend to lighten as it ages, so you will see some changes over time, no matter what you do.

Bernie Weishapl
03-20-2013, 10:44 AM
Brian on most of my display bowls I use Minwax Antique oil. It is not overly glossy but hold up well. I make several big display bowls for fruit, etc. and the finish holds up well. I have started using General Finishes Woodturners finish. It has held up well so far. I have a change bowl where my keys, change, etc goes in every night. It is about a year old now and has held up well. There is a learning curve when using it.